My Flock of Doves

outlawatheart

Jan 19, 2011
Hamilton County IL.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX Spectrum
I haven't posted here for a while so thought I would share my dovetail collection... 11012376_10203343546175782_8917334667754610763_n.jpg 11040124_408238529336230_1257280993_n.jpg the frame is 40x30...I've added a few since this photo. It was my display at the Collinsville Show. The center row are all over 5"

Upvote 0
OP
OP
outlawatheart

outlawatheart

Jan 19, 2011
Hamilton County IL.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX Spectrum
I added these since the show...4 5/8" Hornstone>> hornstone 4.jpg 4 1/4" Carter Cave very translucent>> DSC01877.JPG DSC01885.JPG 4 3/4" Coshocton button base>> 11008933_10155237714205114_488529381_n.jpg

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it's beautiful! I don't blame you for collecting the dove tails and it's cool that you found 2 yourself...maybe someday I will find one but not sure if they are found in my area.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great show of your collection. Got some $ tied up in that frame.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might sound a little ignorant here but I just never understood why so much attraction to that particular type of point?
I mean they hold the title of the most reproduced type of all.. By no coincidence

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some real interesting notches on this one.. Imagine how hard that would be to do with antler.

ForumRunner_20150325_211054.png

OP
OP
outlawatheart

outlawatheart

Jan 19, 2011
Hamilton County IL.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX Spectrum
the damage was cause by it being wired to a board at some time in its life hornstone 3.jpg the wire mark shows better here, looks like a break in the point. The iron shows up well under a scope

OP
OP
outlawatheart

outlawatheart

Jan 19, 2011
Hamilton County IL.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX Spectrum
A member here Jeff H. showed his awesome Hixton Dove last year and I was instantly addicted to the type...Provenance and authenticity are very important to me. My doves are from very reputable sellers and collectors. NO FLEABAY!! Several are pictured in a few of Hothems books and the CSA publications. All of them carry triple paper from: Bennett, Jackson's and a lot of older Davis papers, plus I have gotten very good with my scope...and yes I have a few bucks tied up in them...;)

OP
OP
outlawatheart

outlawatheart

Jan 19, 2011
Hamilton County IL.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX Spectrum
yes this year..was there Saturday only...I was at a table (not in the Ritter room), and Sat with Richard Koch was just down from where Mitch L. had his hoes displayed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
outlawatheart

outlawatheart

Jan 19, 2011
Hamilton County IL.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX Spectrum
yes this year.. was there Saturday only...I was at a table (not in the Ritter room), with Richard Koch. It was just down from where Mitch L. had his hoes displayed.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
You have some very nice pieces there sir.

This is my Dove collection. It is the only authentic dove made of KRF that Stermer, Bennett, and even Jeff H. has seen. None of the above know of any other of the type being found this far west either. It was found about 10 miles north of Sioux Falls S.D., about a mile from the sioux river, and I got to talk to the finder, his wife, and neighbor who had been drooling over it since it was found.

I wish I would have made it to c-ville this year, I wanted a few friends to see this, but my dad was in hospital, and I needed to be near.

Hamilton, isn't that where they have the geode days/fest? My wife has been wanting to check it out, is it worth it?

DSCN3555.JPG
DSCN3771.JPG DSCN3768.JPG

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Some real interesting notches on this one.. Imagine how hard that would be to do with antler.

Actually, not hard at all. It's called punch notching. Primarily used during a relatively short window of time in the Early Archaic. Calf Creek, Bell, Andice, Dovetail, Lost Lake, some Thebes and a few other related early archaic types have it.

Most modern knappers who accurately replicate the flake scar pattern in punch notching, do it with an indirect percussion set up. Since you put the piece of antler directly on the spot and then hit it with something, you usually hit very small platforms very accurately. (Picture shooting a gun with a scope, or from the hip.) Some of the same knappers can make really nice fluted points with the same basic set up, and a couple of archaeologists think that these specialized notches are a technological "great-grandchild" of fluting.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
One of my favorite pieces from this forum. A beauty!

You have some very nice pieces there sir.

This is my Dove collection. It is the only authentic dove made of KRF that Stermer, Bennett, and even Jeff H. has seen. None of the above know of any other of the type being found this far west either. It was found about 10 miles north of Sioux Falls S.D., about a mile from the sioux river, and I got to talk to the finder, his wife, and neighbor who had been drooling over it since it was found.

I wish I would have made it to c-ville this year, I wanted a few friends to see this, but my dad was in hospital, and I needed to be near.

Hamilton, isn't that where they have the geode days/fest? My wife has been wanting to check it out, is it worth it?

View attachment 1136991
View attachment 1136992 View attachment 1136993

OP
OP
outlawatheart

outlawatheart

Jan 19, 2011
Hamilton County IL.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX Spectrum
rare dove Quito...not many KRF doves out there!!! VERY NICE SIR!!!
Hey If you do the facebook artifact groups I'm Admin. at one named G-7 or higher collectors grade artifact. you would be welcome to come look around if you like... awesome bunch of old time collectors.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread