monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not had a chance to go back and dig out the holes in the clay bed of this creek since last year, but it was worth the wait. I worked for about 3 hrs. and man was the water cold, it felt like putting your hand down in a ice chest. creek finds 3-29-15 004.JPG creek finds 3-29-15 005.JPG creek finds 3-29-15 006.JPG creek finds 3-29-15 007.JPG creek finds 3-29-15 008.JPG creek finds 3-29-15 009.JPG creek finds 3-29-15 010.JPG I may have shown this creek bottom before but this is what it looks like. Its mother natures artifact trap and it goes a long way down the creek and some holes are so deep, I can't reach the bottom with my arm. creek finds 3-29-15 003.JPG This is all the area that I could cover, it takes some time digging out these holes, because the stuff in the bottom gets packed down. creek finds 3-29-15 011.JPG If you can find one of these bayonets buy it because it's this best artifact hunting tool I have ever had. I have used this one for over 30yrs and carry it ever time I go hunting, along with my Larson flipping stick. creek finds 3-29-15 012.JPG

Upvote 0

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are nice and I remember you posting about those holes and wishing I had them in my creek. I noticed some holes in my creek but not the same type, I'm thinking one of the creek critter is forming the ones I see and they have pebbles and stones in them so I make sure I give them a double check. I would have trouble staying out of those holes you have there lol

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds for sure,,

Have you thought about panning out the stuff you pull out of those holes? Man I would ,,,

I bet many a person has twisted an ankle or worse if you accidentally stepped into one,,, YIKES !!

Hit

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love how they are all whole and of the same golden color…what a stellar hunt!

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds.... Is there a certain depth that yields more artifacts than others?

No there is not, it's just by chance that a artifact falls in a hole, but the deeper and larger the hole I think the more of a chance it has on falling in the hole and staying in that hole. One thing I have noticed is where the water slows down like in a curve is better than in a straight area where the water is faster, it gives the artifact time to drop into the hole.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh-- artifact traps- and not an 'erosion from the hole itself' thing. You found some nice stuff! I bet that water was cold! Oh well- soon enough, you'll wish you could jump in it to stay cool ;)

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh-- artifact traps- and not an 'erosion from the hole itself' thing. You found some nice stuff! I bet that water was cold! Oh well- soon enough, you'll wish you could jump in it to stay cool ;)

Yak these holes form on their on in the clay bed of the creek, else where in the creek it is mud bottom until strong water flow removes the mud and then you find the holes. I'm not sure how or what is the cause that makes them other than water flow. One wash I use to hunt had Civil War era stuff and Indian artifacts along with old bottles and the holes were where you found stuff most of the time.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt we will get those clay traps on the creeks here also. It will catch anything of size and like you said artifacts and relics. I have several of the bayonets they are handy tools. Especially if you get the frog or sheath.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt returns

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That the way to do it! :thumbsup: I have heard a few stories about finding a good amount of gold in those creek/river holes, but not sure you have gold down there in ''ole'' miss.

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful finds! Thanks for sharing your creek hunting tips! Gives me hope!

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool.

I have worked in streams my entire life building bridges, and never saw clay with holes like that.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Monster!!! Good day for you.....it had to be Steve's Spirit in that flipping stick he sent ya!!!!! Great piece of memory man!!!!.......................GTP(Chris).............I miss him already this sucks not seeing him responding to our posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... : (

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Monster!!! Good day for you.....it had to be Steve's Spirit in that flipping stick he sent ya!!!!! Great piece of memory man!!!!.......................GTP(Chris).............I miss him already this sucks not seeing him responding to our posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... : (

Same here Steve was a one of a kind guy.

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Those holes have got to be great for protecting artifacts from getting banged around and broken like they would if they kept traveling. Great finds.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure the heavier material in those holes isn't there from the hole opening up around the material? I just can't see decent size points made of dense material flying on down the stream and landing in a hole.... really thin ones that are small I could see skimming down the river a ways.
I'm still trying to figure out those holes gas bubbles maybe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread