4-10-15 NC Creek finds

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I was raking in the bank of the creek a bit and first thing comes up is this real nice shard, 2" at it's longest points. There is a quartz vein in the bank and I was hoping for some points to have gotten stuck in it so was raking up the quartz and a lovely smoky quartz crystal surfaced which is the best crystal I've ever found so to me it's a pretty cool find, although, it would be nice if another point would show up. :dontknow: I didn't know I had captured the shadow of a flying insect and thought it funny so posted that pic too. The snakes are moving here in the Western NC Piedmont, I ran up on a nice size black racer today too and liking it around to eat up the copperheads and whatnot.

WP_20150410_001.jpg WP_20150410_002.jpg WP_20150410_003.jpg

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice crystal and yes the snakes are back. Twice I have seen 3 snakes in a trip. I saw 1 Copperhead but it didn't have the camo spots like others I have seen it was solid copper color with the fat head. It wasn't little maybe 2-3 ft long. idk maybe if they shed they lose the scattered spots? He jumped in the water a couple of feet from me and I let him go on his way.

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice crystal and yes the snakes are back. Twice I have seen 3 snakes in a trip. I saw 1 Copperhead but it didn't have the camo spots like others I have seen it was solid copper color with the fat head. It wasn't little maybe 2-3 ft long. idk maybe if they shed they lose the scattered spots? He jumped in the water a couple of feet from me and I let him go on his way.

Giving me the creepies talking about copperheads! I'm so jumpy even the frogs and horny heads scare me when they make their noises lol

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I know it wasn't a water snake by the head and the color was brighter just like a cooper color. Maybe it was a albino but not white. I jumped when it did but the other way, lol I even had snake boots on.

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I know it wasn't a water snake by the head and the color was brighter just like a cooper color. Maybe it was a albino but not white. I jumped when it did but the other way, lol I even had snake boots on.

No doubt in my mind they don't always have the classic look, just be careful!

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds NCPeaches. I too occasionally find quartz crystals in the creek.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EXcellent little crystal! I find clear ones here and never mention them.... rarely w/ artifacts... Good on you!

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EXcellent little crystal! I find clear ones here and never mention them.... rarely w/ artifacts... Good on you!

Yakker, do you ever find little garnets in quartz? Today I didn't find anything NA but did find another white quartz with bunches of little garnets.

The Boots

Oct 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice shard and crystal. The snakes are most definitely out. We rarely find pottery here in the Piedmont.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a fun hunt. The quartz crystal is nice and some say are used as prayer stones. I know our buddy "Larson'' had one... I find them on sites occasionally. Hope you have a great season!:tongue3:
HH

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NCPeaches, cool crystal. I never see those where Im from.

They say that they are everywhere to find here in this area but that's the first one of that size for me. I've found quartz rocks with little garnets in them too. This area is big in gemstones and it doesn't surprise me what washes up in the creek. I can't wait to get back out there, we've had some "washing" rains and that's when I find the good stuff.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They say rain here all week long. if the fields stay wet they will plant late with soybean. Hope the rain stops soon. Nothing worse than trying to hunt a field after a soybean crop has been harvested.

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Peaches....pretty quartz and nice sherd :icon_thumleft:.....I also LOVE the shadow pic, glad you posted it to...it almost looks like it was one of those Hawk moths maybe?
FSCN9248.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread