Found in 2 halves! What is it??

Sep 18, 2011
Found in NE Illinois. It was actually broke but both pieces were salvaged. Can you let me know if this is a point? If so-any way to ID it? If it is not a point-what it is?
Looks like a form of chert I guess.

Also-if I wanted to repair it for a frame, how would I do that?

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 155
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 139
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 143
Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either a point or a knife. Use Elmers glue just in case you don't glue it straight a good soak in warm water will bring it back apart and it will dry clear. Nice find

OP
OP
A
Sep 18, 2011
Thanks Rock
If it is a point, does it look finished? Any way to tell what kind?

Also if it is knife, would it have been worked on both sides and on the entire surface? It has some real nice workmanship on the gray portion and some decent work on the brown. Looks like it was designed to be shaped into a triangular piece of some kind......

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im not knowledgeable of your area as far as the types you have there. Maybe somebody will be able to tell you exactly what it is. Nice colors

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
its called a lanceolate form (without shoulders or notches). Maybe a Carter blade? size is close and right area for that type, anyway. Someone with knowledge of that areas points might chime in and add to or correct me if Im off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A
Sep 18, 2011
Thanks. I read it may be a blade or a point. What is the difference? I assume the blade is for cutting whereas the point is for an Arrow or spear?

My original thought was a preform. What do you think?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be a scraper. I find triangle shaped scrapers the narrow end would go into a handle. Not all scrapers were fully done just enough to cut what they needed then tossed.

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Autographcollector,

You are exactly right in your thinking, a blade would be used just like you think it would be, as a cutting implement and a point would be used on a kinetic type weapon such as spear or arrow. Most artifacts this size could be mounted in a shaft and used as a cutting implement. The Carter points have notches while the blades are straight sided and no notches.

OP
OP
A
Sep 18, 2011
I was looking at the piece again and wonder-if this was actually a really crude point that was made into a hafted knife/scraper-and not just a preform. The flaking on the cutting/scraping piece is a bit more defined from the rest, however it is flaked throughout.
I was wondering if it could also be a woodland style point with a mississippian era scraping edge. Either way, my gut tells me that it was hafted.
Any opinions would be appreciated.....
Thanks

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find all types of crude knifes that are in a field that runs late woodland to Mississippian period. Usually small here is 3 examples I found this week from the same field.

Attachments

• SDC10351.JPG
    SDC10351.JPG
    713.6 KB · Views: 101

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread