Quartz Arrowhead found in OK

walnuthead

Aug 23, 2007
Lawton, Oklahoma
After searching Post Oak Creek off and on for years, I was losing hope on ever finding an arrowhead there before finding this one sticking out of a sand bar. My beloved Grandmother passed away a few days before and she knew how I loved to hunt for artifacts and minerals. Thanks Grandma, :unhappysmiley:.

Attachments

• 20150420_161247.jpg
    20150420_161247.jpg
    586.3 KB · Views: 599
Upvote 0

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool. Have you ever checked out the area on the west side of Lake Lawtonka?

OP
OP
walnuthead

walnuthead

Aug 23, 2007
Lawton, Oklahoma
Thanks for the replies. I was told that it would be hard to find any in the area I was searching, but the creek runs south from the Wichita Mountains so I am assuming that it washed down from there.

OP
OP
walnuthead

walnuthead

Aug 23, 2007
Lawton, Oklahoma
I haven't checked out the area but I am always looking for new places to hunt. Is there potential there and if so, is it on public land RGINN?

Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of potential there walnuthead. About a thousand years ago a Plains Village was on the eastern slope of Mt. Scott and ran all the way down to where the lake is now. It's all public land, part federal and part I guess belongs to either the state or the city of Lawton. The bad thing is you probably can't legally pick up and keep artifacts found there. Still a great place to look around. Since you're down in the Lawton area and interested in history, I would recommend you get a copy of Wilbur S. Nye's book 'Carbine and Lance', which you can probably find at the Museum of the Great Plains there in Lawton. Gives you a lot of info on historic Indian and military activity in your area.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice point sorry to hear of your Grandmother passing.

OP
OP
walnuthead

walnuthead

Aug 23, 2007
Lawton, Oklahoma
Awesome information RGINN, thanks so much! I will get the book ASAP. Do you happen to know anything about The American Girl mine that is in this area?

OP
OP
walnuthead

walnuthead

Aug 23, 2007
Lawton, Oklahoma
Hey RGINN. I finally got around to start reading Carbine and Lance and I just wanted to say thanks again for recommending it. I had no idea so many potential hunting sites were all around me, especially on Cache Creek. The sites around Devil's Canyon are mouth watering but I hear the landowners are pretty stern about letting people on their land. I have yet to find the part about the village on the east side of Mt. Scott, but I am sure I will come across it soon as this book is so interesting, it is hard to put down. I am truly looking forward to trying to traverse the sleep slopes of Cache Creek and do some bank hunting. Thanks again and I will keep you informed if I hit a nice find.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Very Nice Find! Your G'ma was right there with you....Treasure that one!

I'm sorry for your loss.

Kace

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find , your grandma guided you to that one , I have a similar story my dad passed a away 2/29/16 very unexpected it was a tough loss ,about a week after I really need to get out and clear my head so went on a hike more than a hunt but I was walking the beach and found my first axe head after looking for 25 years I truly felt my dad had something to do with it his way of saying all was gonna be ok. The beach and the spot I found the axe I have walked that same path atleast 500 times before and had never found any artifacts on that stretch ...... crazy

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see you're still out there, walnuthead. Nye doesn't talk about the prehistoric sites much, but another book, by E. Buford Morgan, 'Wichita Mountains-Ancient Oasis of the Prairies' mentions the prehistory. Another good book to get if you can find it. If you ever get over to Tom Steed, go over to the parks' community shelter and look along the lake shore just west of it, as there was a village there at one time. When the lake is down, walk straight northwest of the northwest corner of that shelter, and you might spot a grinding basin. If nobody has taken it. I turned I upside down. Look at it but please leave it there. There were two, and the first was a little better and the park wanted it for the park office to display. Didn't tell em about the second one. I thought it was fine to leave it where it had been for hundreds of years. Enjoy exploring SW OK!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread