Acreage clearing in major artifact hot zone. How do you most effectively search?

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The short of it is: A > 10 acre parcel is about to be cleared for agricultural use, that happens to be in an artifact hot zone. The parcel is extremely interesting as its replete with a lot of 'old trails', etc and is almost entirely high and dry.

Not only cleared, but root-raked, so there will be a lot of upturned soil.

What's the best way to go about hunting this property for relics before its planted?

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucky duck
Walking it after a good rain would be the best bet but depending on the time you'll have access I'd walk walk and walk some more.
If it hasn't been washed down real good with rain definitely bring some sort of a stick or poker with you to flip anything that looks like flint out of the dirt.. Don't forget to look up and around once in a while for larger things like axe heads

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that after a rain is the best time to look but I would walk it every chance I got until a rain came.

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you are about to have some fun…I hope this isn't the last hurrah for this spot…but just the beginning. If convenient...I would check it every day at least with a drive by just to keep tabs on what is going on.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will you be the only one having access or is it an open to anyone site?

OP
OP
LM

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Will you be the only one having access or is it an open to anyone site?

It's family owned, so I'll have unlimited access to it.
I'm responsible for managing the clearing and eventual planting but its in close proximity to a state owned archaeological hotspot and even some privately owned lands acquired by these guys.

The Archaeological Conservancy

Given the lay of the land, fairly sure its had old habitation, so don't want to miss any opportunities.

Last edited:

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's family owned, so I'll have unlimited access to it.
I'm responsible for managing the clearing and eventual planting but its in close proximity to a state owned archaeological hotspot and even some privately owned lands acquired by these guys.

The Archaeological Conservancy

Given the lay of the land, fairly sure its had old habitation, so don't want to miss any opportunities.

That's good that every Tom, Dick and Harry won't be scouring the site. You can take a little time to search it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread