Stone Tools Heating Methods to Improve Design

uzd

Feb 24, 2015
Cowtown
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have examples of or are you aware of heat being applied to stone to improve the function of a tool? In particular a chopper with added girth for a palmswell. I have one that has had the top obviously thickened (taco shape)to improve grip, it's molded perfectly. As if you took a flat breccia stone and folded a portion back on top of itself and then flaked the radius. Very little chert/flint in this region, subsequently bone and clever design was substituted for the lack of traditional material.. Thx

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heat treating is a well known method of preparing flint and chert as well as other material for flaking.
No one made a stone thicker or folded any part of it. Stone has always been and can only be broken down to make into tools.
An edge can be flaked down leaving the opposite side higher I have many tools like that many of them have also had a portion of the cortex left on it in that area

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

uzd

Feb 24, 2015
Cowtown
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am inclined to agree with you. It is difficult to locate decent material in my area so many tools customarily chert or flint were made from bone. Some appear to be fired clay. I'll post a couple of pics, a pair of what appear to be hammer stones and what appears to be a clay edged tool. Bearing in mind it's the exception to find any stone other than lime. The pair pictured were found together and when grasped leave the extended portion bottom left exposed. View attachment 1157257 View attachment 1157258 View attachment 1157259
View attachment 1157248 View attachment 1157249 View attachment 1157250 View attachment 1157251

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe me.. I know all about living in an area where lithic stone isn't naturally available.
In my area any chert or agatized coral was transported in and shell was used as a substitute... Bone was used for a lot of things but not to do the work of most stone tools,it just isn't capable.
Those stones you have there are natural and unaltered by man.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread