What is this?

cody milam

Oct 7, 2014
My agriculture teacher found this in a field a few years back but doesn't know what it is
He said he saw something similar on tv
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430496293.568588.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430496328.762377.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430496346.353359.jpg

Upvote 0

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Maybe it's a bell pestle. Some of them had "dimples" on the underside business end....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    466 KB · Views: 136
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    543.8 KB · Views: 140

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes they were used for pounders and not grinders. I feel and of course its just my opinion but yours would of been a pounder. I have a couple of them but all are smooth for being used in a grinding motion for grains.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry guys, I think that's just a rock. It's not anything at all like one of those pestles or a mano. I am interested in for what reason your ag teacher picked it up and kept it. Might be more to the story, which would help with an ID.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry guys, I think that's just a rock. It's not anything at all like one of those pestles or a mano. I am interested in for what reason your ag teacher picked it up and kept it. Might be more to the story, which would help with an ID.

It is narrow, and that's no "dimple" on the underside. Still, I think would have picked it up based on a "sorta bell pestle shape", but then I'm an artifact hunter, not an ag teacher. Did the underside assume that appearance from pounding? I don't know. The narrowness was noticeable. Perhaps it is a geofact of sorts. Now I have seen pestles with that exact shape, but not narrow like that. But with that outline, as opposed to the in curved lines of most bell pestles.

Here's a couple of bell pestles with similar shapes....
If I were familiar with bell pestles or saw examples on TV, somehow, I might pick something like that up and wonder if it were one of "these things".
Most, but not all, bell pestles, will flare slightly, to a lot,(the first one I posted earlier in this thread flares at the base)on the business end as one example shown here....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 170
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 171
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the ones I have at the top has a bit removed for holding. At first I thought it was damage but all the ones I have found and saw they all have a section removed at the top.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Most of the ones I have at the top has a bit removed for holding. At first I thought it was damage but all the ones I have found and saw they all have a section removed at the top.

Not sure the rock in question is a bell pestle, so I may be steering the thread wrong here, but I'm confused by the statement. Are you saying most bell pestles have their tops deliberately removed? The one I'm showing here, from Ohio, seems typical to me. The top is intact, but maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying, rock?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    519 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 83

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might just be GA but mine and the other ones I have seen at shows with the Hoof Pestle have sections removed for gripping. Here are mine.

Attachments

• SDC10418.JPG
    SDC10418.JPG
    921.3 KB · Views: 96
  • SDC10419.JPG
    SDC10419.JPG
    977.4 KB · Views: 92
  • SDC10421.JPG
    SDC10421.JPG
    1,020.3 KB · Views: 84

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread