Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there's 4 inch sprouts in the field I've been hunting :laughing7:

I have rules to follow in order to be able to hunt the many acres I have permission to be on. One of the rules is to not go on the fields unless the owner tells me its okay. I follow his rules, in the winter I have access to all of them and can go as often as I want. November isn't that far off.

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya, this farmer doesn't mind if we walk as long as we stay between rows. Each one has their own rules, like you I follow them. Good luck rock.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what the options would be in your area but there's some pretty creative ways to cool off and hunt artifacts in the summer

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The point I posted a while ago my girlfriend found was on chittenango creek which has a lot of native american history. I'm still hunting fields because I'm allowed to, but I plan on hunting this creek when fields are unavailable. My granparents own property on this creek and surround areas as well so I'm hoping to get some luck there this summer. Problem is the mosquitos are so bad its not even funny, they have to fly over with planes and spray for them they are so bad.

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a field If I find flint I hunt that area. In a creek I feel like I'm just going all willy nilly looking for a needle in a haystack.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a field If I find flint I hunt that area. In a creek I feel like I'm just going all willy nilly looking for a needle in a haystack.

The creek is a nice hunt. After each rain if I rains hard enough it is like hunting a new creek each time.

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Capt, When I hunt a creek, I feel the same way (although finding a needle in a haystack might be easier, because at least you know there is a needle and a haystack in which to look). However, my best finds of last year were creek finds. But we do need rains that change the creeks and we haven't had any of those kinds of rains in my area in about 2 years. But I'm still convinced that the creek I search is full of points (unexposed and down in the muck). HH

Last edited:

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, this is my first year hunting so I'll definitely be hitting the creek once I can't hit the field anymore. I'm sure there are more points in and around this creek. Are you guys just checking banks? as funny as it sounds, is snorkeling any good? seems that would be a decent way to spot things as well. This creek has a lot of shallow easy wading spots, but also gets deep. It changes a lot.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, this is my first year hunting so I'll definitely be hitting the creek once I can't hit the field anymore. I'm sure there are more points in and around this creek. Are you guys just checking banks? as funny as it sounds, is snorkeling any good? seems that would be a decent way to spot things as well. This creek has a lot of shallow easy wading spots, but also gets deep. It changes a lot.

Here is a tip that sounds strange. When walking a creek use a stick to poke the bottom in front of you as you walk. Sometimes the mud or sand is deeper than it looks and you wont know this without a stick. If you step on it and it is really deep its to late to take that step backwards. I use a beaver stick that is 4-5 ft long. feel the hard pan then venture forwards. Also after you have reached your section return the same way you went the 1st time and it is quite possible you will find something in your foot prints on your way back. I have done it many times. I look forward to seeing your finds, rock

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice shard and wishing I could find something in my creek, it's been over a week and nothing. We need some good rains for the creek and the garden, so dry the grass is crunchy. The only hunting I do is in my creek and it's disappointing lately to say the least. On the other hand it is a lot cooler, I have to spray for the mosquitoes every time I go in but the dragonflies and damselflies are fun flying between my legs, hanging around me and landing on the rake, love those guys. HH

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a deer fly following me all the way. I even had Deet on and it was still trying to bite me. Must of been darn hungry!

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can still go down stream on my next trip. I find sometimes if one section is empty of finds the other end might have some. The downed trees were pushed and moved around so I know there was enough current to push some gravel. Hopefully the next time Im out I will find something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread