Do you remember the first point you ever found?!?!?!?!? :)

kygirl1227

Apr 19, 2015
Dry Ridge, Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will never forget the day I found my first point, to bad it was broke...but still an awesome feeling!!!!!!!! That was the day I became an addict...lol:laughing7: 20150506_164221.jpg

Upvote 0

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"
That was the day I became an addict"
Same here,and yes I remember very well and it was only about 44 years ago for me. I was 14 or 15 years old at the time, in my minds eye I can still see the surrounding woods and the freshly ploughed field and blade pictured below. I was more fortunate, it was whole. That experience sparked an infatuation that resulted in a several hundred mile search for the lost and left behind tools of the North American Indians. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432269254.042419.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432269287.132134.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432269310.393565.jpg

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
Found this halfer while fishing the Susquehanna. Don't fish as much as I used to because my eyes never leave the ground now. Only half point in my hung frames. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1432314599.888175.jpg

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this obsidian blade about sixty years ago while my father was leading me and my older brother on a donkey in the high sierras of N. California . My Dad stopped to take a break and I was chasing my brother around and I found the point in the middle of the trail .

Attachments

• My First Point 005.JPG
    My First Point 005.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 107

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been quite a while since that first one, but I remember it was a Yonkee type made from red chert. The tip was broken. Unfortunately it was lost.

Last edited:

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
It has been quite a while since that first one, but I remember it was a Yonkee type made from red chert. The tip was broken. Unfortunately it was lost.

the poor point has been lost twice now.

Heck, I still remember picking up my first nice flake, and being awed by the fact that it had been knocked off another rock by a N.A. I did find my first point near where that flake was picked up.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of what I found near the North Saskatchewan River, Saskatchewan, Canada. Copper points from kettles and the iron from keg bands brought in by fur traders .

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 1st one was a quartz type cant find it now. But this was in my top 5 first.

Attachments

• 100_2101.JPG
    100_2101.JPG
    340.5 KB · Views: 105

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found my first one when I was about 6 years old. (And knew what I was lookin for even at that age) A triangular point of Alibates flint and I still have it. One thing that made walkin up and down fields all day either choppin or pullin cotton slightly more bearable was that those old farmers had their fields in pretty much the same places the plains village farmers had theirs about a 1,000 years before. You're lookin down all the time anyway, so might as well keep an eye out for arrowheads.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like your father started you boys young.. That's hard work for a boy that age... great for a man's character down the road though thanks for sharing

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
here you go, a Columbia River Pin Stem in green jasper, I was ten and i was hooked.

Attachments

• DSC04863.JPG
    DSC04863.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 87

ghp95134

Sep 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first two in the same day, if I recall correctly. I was a 13 or 14 year-old Boy Scout (Troop 763) at Ft. Bragg, N.C. (Fayetteville) ca 1966. Our scout master coordinated permission from a farmer living just across the border in VA, allowing us to hunt arrowheads. So we all headed up and searched the field. I found #1 within the first 15 minutes and thought "maybe they planted these for us" ....
9f22a47f-ab49-4e50-9df9-1ddb5397fde9_zpspa6cejug.jpg

The only arrowheads I had seen before were Georgia flint and were beautiful and slim. These were thick, crude, and ugly. Up until then I never knew that quartz could be used for arrowheads.

--Guy

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my first one at age 6 and still have it in a tray by itself. I don't have a picture of it handy though. I need to take another one of it.

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still waiting on my first...I live in south central Louisiana, not exactly a hot-bed for lithic items. Various types of mounds with surface pottery shards are scattered throughout the swamps, but I'm not the type to "go any further" to find a point or a tool, even though I'm sure there are some below the surface. North Louisiana is much more conducive for finding surface lithics, but I would rather wait and find something from my local area. It would just mean that much more to me.

When I'm paddling or trolling down a local bayou or lake while fishing I just keep an eye on the bank and maybe one day erosion may reveal something of interest.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when I was 7, my buddies and I had a "hide out" in the woods, where we spent our free time......almost all of our time was free back then.

One day walking up the dirt path, I spotted a small common point on the edge of the trail, I was very excited, and my Dad, a relic collector, made a big fuss about it.

He told me years later, that he planted it for me to find. It worked, hooked me for life. Thanks, Dad.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still waiting on my first...I live in south central Louisiana, not exactly a hot-bed for lithic items. Various types of mounds with surface pottery shards are scattered throughout the swamps, but I'm not the type to "go any further" to find a point or a tool, even though I'm sure there are some below the surface. North Louisiana is much more conducive for finding surface lithics, but I would rather wait and find something from my local area. It would just mean that much more to me.

When I'm paddling or trolling down a local bayou or lake while fishing I just keep an eye on the bank and maybe one day erosion may reveal something of interest.

It's exactly the same where I am... You will find yours it sounds like you know exactly how it will happen also.
Keep checking those spots that have pottery especially when you've had several days of wind that's moving parallel to that particular bank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread