793.1 KB · Views: 149
Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
On the last one, I see a damaged point or blade. I don't see a nice deep concave blade edge, or any of the usual flaking associated with a spoke shave.

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds "rock", liking the colors on that first one, and no ornery horse dogging your tracks this hunt i trust, must have seemed a little less exciting,in a good way. Even if you were in the creek at least the copperheads won't sneak up behind ya.[emoji3]

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds especially the point in the third and fourth photo. I'll have to agree with quito on the last one.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds especially the point in the third and fourth photo. I'll have to agree with quito on the last one.

Might be a point that was never finished the flaking is strange on it.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are absolutely beautiful and unique and some great day makers! Great finds! Awesome materials!

Im parcel to the knife don't find much of the blue material to often and its perfect secondary flaking all the way around.

TimeWaster

Oct 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock, I find them like that spokeshave looking thing in your pic all the time, except they are a bit more crude and always made of quartz. I don't know what that tool is, but it was popular across cultures for a long long time. Cool stuff you have there.

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Rock…does that last one have any worn edges or tiny edge work like you noted on the knife? If it does I would think that would make it more likely to have been a tool rather than a broken point…just my two cents/sense?

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Rock…does that last one have any worn edges or tiny edge work like you noted on the knife? If it does I would think that would make it more likely to have been a tool rather than a broken point…just my two cents/sense?

Seeing I have it in hand I have to agree it is some type of tool. The sides tell the story

TimeWaster

Oct 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock,
Check out the pic. The one in the middle is a quartz rendition of your tool. The arched portion from top to right is sharpened. I left the file rather large so it is easier to zoom in on and call me nuts if you like! pic 4.jpg

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock,
Check out the pic. The one in the middle is a quartz rendition of your tool. The arched portion from top to right is sharpened. I left the file rather large so it is easier to zoom in on and call me nuts if you like! View attachment 1173516

What you have there is debitage pieces. The one on the far right might be something cant tell though.

TimeWaster

Oct 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. That group all has it's oddities. The one on the left is a pretty good end scraper (sort of), the second one is worked on both sides and all four edges, the third is a uniface probably just plain debitage, the 4th is, I have no clue!, the 5th is a rough drill? as the base has a nice 60 degree edge and is serrated, and the one on the right I think is a blank that was going to be a knife maybe. I live on an ancient quartz quarry. Almost nothing but debitage, and a whole lot of it. As I've said before, I would just classify myself as nuts but I find the same shapes all the time. I think what I find are just the thousands of reduction pieces and screw ups that must have been inevitable with quartz.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. That group all has it's oddities. The one on the left is a pretty good end scraper (sort of), the second one is worked on both sides and all four edges, the third is a uniface probably just plain debitage, the 4th is, I have no clue!, the 5th is a rough drill? as the base has a nice 60 degree edge and is serrated, and the one on the right I think is a blank that was going to be a knife maybe. I live on an ancient quartz quarry. Almost nothing but debitage, and a whole lot of it. As I've said before, I would just classify myself as nuts but I find the same shapes all the time. I think what I find are just the thousands of reduction pieces and screw ups that must have been inevitable with quartz.

Trash pit comes to mind.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions