🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ATGOLD
Garrett pro pointer
Fiskars digger
Primary Interest:
Other
000_0517.jpg 000_0518.jpg 000_0519.jpg 000_0520.jpg 000_0523.jpg

These were found in the Rideau Lakes area about 60 miles south west of Ottawa Ontario. I found them about 50 feet away from the shoreline of Irish creek which was a well known travel route for trappers and natives in the eastern ontario region. They were sitting on bedrock under about 2 inches of soil. There was also a small bead that is out being tested as it seems to be gold. I've no idea on these as to culture or event or meaning. If you look close there is lots of detail and in the one it seems to depict a woman wearing a parka type clothing with design on it. The other seems to be a native mans profile with perhaps a head dress on. Also the hand tool, is it for food prep, skinning??? Thoughts anyone? Cheers. Jon

Upvote 0

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really interesting finds!!!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool... It looks like you found a hematite celt

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just type that in any search engine.
Loads of info on the computer.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think the copper pieces have been worked, as copper was very valuable, and the people who worked copper were very skilled so no doubt in your mind as to what they made out of it. That is a cool celt though, great find.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Just an FYI: I went to the gold and detector show in El Paso a few years ago and one of the detector reps from Wisconson told me he had over 200 copper artifacts. He told me to detect as far as 200' from the edge of any flowing water as hundreds of years ago that is where the waters edge would be. Just as you found your artifacts away from the present waters edge. I am sure this is not always the case but should give you and idea to expand your detecting area.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't think the copper pieces have been worked, as copper was very valuable, and the people who worked copper were very skilled so no doubt in your mind as to what they made out of it. That is a cool celt though, great find.

The copper pieces are what is known as native copper, the form the copper is found in, not themselves artifacts....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_copper

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread