Possible non-Native American piece

C.H. Hawk

Jun 28, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I was wondering if anyone here could help me identify a possible artifact that I have found. It was discovered in mid-Missouri, in a semi-dried creek bed. Upon discovering it, I thought it to be an indian game piece of some sort. However, after inspecting it thoroughly, I have my suspicions that it might be some sort of Freemason tool however, after inspecting it thoroughly, I have my suspicions that it might be some sort of Freemason tool. I say this, only because of what appears to be the "all seeing eye" carved into finely polished hematite. It looks as if it was buffed down by someone who really knew what they were doing. I was wondering if anybody knew what this was, or could possibly point me in the right direction of someone who would know? Thank you. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

C.H. Hawk

Jun 28, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I'm highly anticipating finding out what it is and who likely made it.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IT MAY BE INDIAN ????????????????????

OP
OP
C

C.H. Hawk

Jun 28, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really? That is interesting. I didn't think that indians used body parts in their art and tools. I thought that it was more natural wonders, like animals, and suns, and such... However, I am no expert, so I can only speculate.

OP
OP
C

C.H. Hawk

Jun 28, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone shed light on where I could take it to be properly inspected?

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look down the list of sites in this forum. There is an American Indian section. It couldn't hurt to give them a try. I feel it may be Indian related, but that is just a guess.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The incising looks current and does not appear to have any patina in the lines. A creek would have those lines looking just like the worn bullseye you see on that stone. Is this in an area frequented by other people? Welcome to T-Net by the way.
You could try the Native american section or I can move it over there if you like. Shoot me a PM.

OP
OP
C

C.H. Hawk

Jun 28, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay... Will do. Thank you for your time.

OP
OP
C

C.H. Hawk

Jun 28, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Tnmountains, I agree that it couldn't hurt to post it there. However, I don't know how to do such a task. The incising is actually very rounded on the edges, but the photo does not really give it much justice. Also, just because I found it in a creek, doesn't necessarily mean that it has been there for a long time. I asked a friend, who is much more seasoned in these types of things than I am, and he confessed to me that he thought they were legitimate carvings, as well. However, this does not mean that this is 100%, without a doubt, legitimate. It was discovered on private property, and which no one has permission to be. That does not mean that it is not frequented by illegally encroaching surface hunters though. For all I know, it could be the handiwork of some bored tweaker, with a lot of time on their hands. Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Can we see the other side?

The Mississippian people (age reference, not geographical) made lots of pieces with eyes and hands on them. Google Mississippian Weeping Eye and you can see some of their work in stone and shell. The earlier Hopewellian people also made some very realistic carvings and engravings of body parts. This engraving is actually a little too crude to be their standard workmanship.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My first thought was also the eyes seen in the Southern Death Cult, aka Southeastern Ceremonial Complex. Those eyes are usually pictured in the palm of a human hand.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 98
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 96

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
An example of the "weeping eye" motif mentioned by joshuaream......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 98

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I have a authentic celt that was altered later. It was probably altered in the 1800's (guess) I'll try to get a pic later. Hope yours is the real deal!!

OP
OP
C

C.H. Hawk

Jun 28, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geez, everyone's knowledge of this subject is overwhelming! I should start this thing off, by thanking this forum community for all of your knowledge and speculations. The more options that are thrown in front of me, the less of a chance that I find myself at a dead-end. I appreciate everyone's immediate willingness to help me with this mind-numbing quest to pinpoint this piece's actual origin. I have already learned quite a bit from you people, and for that, I thank you 1,000 times over! ��
C.H. Hawk

OP
OP
C

C.H. Hawk

Jun 28, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
joshuaream, I wasn't aware that body parts were a part of any American Indian art, or culture... Let alone, Midwestern tribes. Although, I do realize that far-reaching tribe's artifacts have been found in areas located hundreds of miles from their known indigenous region. Thank you for clarifying that. The back is flat and smooth. Although, if you look at it closely, you can see what appears to be, light hash marks, that run parallel to the length of the rock, longways and considerably shorter hash marks that run parallel to the width of the rock, creating little # signs, or a grid, if you will. I am not sure if this was put there by its creator, or if it is just a coincidental pattern, from moving across the top of other rocks on the creek bed.
I hope these help:
image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
View attachment 1181410 View attachment 1181410
image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

C.H. Hawk

Jun 28, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I apologize for the duplucates... I don't know what went wrong.��

OP
OP
C

C.H. Hawk

Jun 28, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charl, do you think this is relatable to either of these cultures?

OP
OP
C

C.H. Hawk

Jun 28, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NC Field Hunter, what do you mean by"Celt"? Just a Celtic artifact, or actual Scotish Rite artifacts? Does yours look anything like this one? If so, can you speculate as to what it's purpose was? I figure that it had to serve some sort of purpose, regardless of it's origins. This scenario intrigues me the most, mainly due to theories of Scottish Rite Freemason members coming here long before Columbus, or Leif Ericson.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plow marks on a rock. Just kiddin, interesting find. My first impression is that's not meant to be a representation of an eye, but that's what it looks like. Did you spot any other evidence in the area that indicated the area was once occupied by historic or prehistoric man, or maybe know the history of the area? My former state has the Oklahoma Archaeological Survey, and I have worked with them in the past, basically reporting previously undocument sites I located. If your state has something similar, I would recommend getting in touch with them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread