Finds from last weekend before my heat stroke!

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Here are the two finds I had made before I passed out from heat stroke last weekend on the North Canadian River here in Oklahoma. The small arrow point is my favorite, as it is almost perfect. It was sticking out of a sand embankment and I almost missed it!!

DSCN0279.JPG DSCN0280.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Trooper733

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have never seen anything like the large one on the right, if anyone has a inkling as to what type it is and its use, feel free to enlighten me. The point may have been broken off but if so it is an old break. many thanks

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love em both
I don't think the point is broken. I'd guess it's a scraper not a weapon

OP
OP
Trooper733

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Americus, high praise from someone like You!!! good to see you back on here Jeff!!! missed ya buddy!!!

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Trooper, that little one's a beauty and the bigger one's not to shabby either, nice material, both of them.
Trust you're feeling back to normal now, hope so!
Concerning the larger one, I'd say many possibilities. Could be preform that hadn't been notched yet but I doubt it. Could be an unnotched knife (most likely in my opinion), a highly refined scraper made to be hafted (less likely I think), or even a chert Celt/chopper, but if so you would be able to detect polished ( dulled ) edges on opposing sides. Side view might be helpful. If pretty thick I'd be more inclined to think flint Celt/chopper or scraper, but I'm guessing relatively thin from the picture i.e. Knife, just my 2 cents. HH, thanks for posting.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful Finds! I was wandering if the second one was flat on the opposite side, if so, most likely a really nice thumb-scraper?

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ones, I will be going to an old Indian village on private property this winter. too many cottonmouths now but the owner has found tomahawks, spears and thousands of arrowheads in the creeks on his property. I have to make a shaker to search the rock bars in the creek. Congrats!

OP
OP
Trooper733

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Here are additional photos of the points, including side views. The obverse of the large point shows little work except pressure flaking the edge. It seems to fit the category of a scraper, as the edge is beveled but not sharpened to a find edge like a kinetic energy point would be. I could see it being hafted and used as a hair removal tool for skins, etc.

DSCN0283.JPG DSCN0288.JPG DSCN0281.JPG DSCN0285.JPG

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread