What?

D.E.A.P.

Jul 8, 2015
BC Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some better pics of this strange bowl. The handle fits perfect in the hand.
Soup ladle? Lol ??? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1438548105.071424.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1438548126.285738.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1438548144.368220.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D.E.A.P.

D.E.A.P.

Jul 8, 2015
BC Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be. But the handle on closer examination sure looks to be worked. And it was found in a camp where I find a lot of artifacts. But like u said and I agree it could be natural. Thanks Grim. I do appreciate your input.
Steve

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
could easy be found that way and modified slightly for a better grip...nice find.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spoons and ladles were mostly made from buffalo horn. And wood. I can't really see that used as any sort of bowl to cook in. My ancestors were more advanced in crafting tools than what some people give them credit for, and it wasn't all just Fred Flinstone stuff. It's just a rock on the site that has been broken maybe as a result of other activity there. Construction, road building, etc.?

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I agree with you but I also see a lot of "pestles" in river beds...why peck and grind something that you can pick up and modify slightly.

indian pestle | eBay

some of these "are" others "aren't"

I don't even pick these up anymore unless there is obvious modification...like a flat bottom or something like that.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh definitely unclemac they would use things that were handy and at hand and could be adapted to use for the task without a whole lot of modification. Hard to spot those, and at least the rock D.E.A.P has was found in association with other known artifacts, but probably still just a rock. As heavy and cumbersome as they would have been before the horse, we have found granite grinding basins in SW Oklahoma up to a hundred miles from the source of that rock, so there is some evidence they carried these with them in their travels. They were highly prized and preferred over the local sandstone available. (If you ever get the chance to examine a prehistoric burial, note the grinding and wearing down of the teeth. This is a lot due to eating food that had been ground up on a sandstone basin.) A tip for everybody looking over old Indian campsites, turn over every larger flat rock you see. We found many instances where these were grinding basins turned upsided down to protect the grinding surface, as they intended to use these if they ever returned. Thinking of offbeat tips, if you have a village site that is presently in a plowed field, and it's been farmed for a long time, always walk the fence row. Those old farmers would toss big rocks there out of the field to keep from damaging the plow. One village site in northern Caddo County OK we observed a plethora of manos, metates, hammerstones, anvils, core stones, etc., that had been tossed out of the field back along the fence row. That one is an exceptional site with a long term prehistoric occupation of course, but pretty much every site we examine down there that's in a plowed field had an artifact or two that had been tossed over the fence line.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh definitely unclemac they would use things that were handy and at hand and could be adapted to use for the task without a whole lot of modification. Hard to spot those, and at least the rock D.E.A.P has was found in association with other known artifacts, but probably still just a rock. As heavy and cumbersome as they would have been before the horse, we have found granite grinding basins in SW Oklahoma up to a hundred miles from the source of that rock, so there is some evidence they carried these with them in their travels. They were highly prized and preferred over the local sandstone available. (If you ever get the chance to examine a prehistoric burial, note the grinding and wearing down of the teeth. This is a lot due to eating food that had been ground up on a sandstone basin.) A tip for everybody looking over old Indian campsites, turn over every larger flat rock you see. We found many instances where these were grinding basins turned upsided down to protect the grinding surface, as they intended to use these if they ever returned. Thinking of offbeat tips, if you have a village site that is presently in a plowed field, and it's been farmed for a long time, always walk the fence row. Those old farmers would toss big rocks there out of the field to keep from damaging the plow. One village site in northern Caddo County OK we observed a plethora of manos, metates, hammerstones, anvils, core stones, etc., that had been tossed out of the field back along the fence row. That one is an exceptional site with a long term prehistoric occupation of course, but pretty much every site we examine down there that's in a plowed field had an artifact or two that had been tossed over the fence line.

Excellent advice. I too have found some nice pieces in farmers rock piles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread