Did i find an arrow head factory?

sublimages

Jun 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About a year ago i was helping install a solar system in a field next to a house at the shiloh/mayacama estates in North California (mayacama was the tribes name that is local to this area).

After we had removed a couple inches of topsoil i started finding all these little chunks of Obsidian. I found about 75 total pieces in a 100x25' area, and i'm sure there were plenty still there.

On the last day of the job i sat down under a tree to have lunch and saw the piece of quartz just barely sticking out of the ground. I only cleaned it with water, and it clearly looks banged up on one edge.

It took a year for me to realize the possible significance of what i had found.

I think all the pieces i found where the "rejects" that where too small to make into arrow heads. View attachment 1200745
View attachment 1200746
View attachment 1200747

Not all the obsidian is pictured, i have given away a lot of it.

Upvote 0

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just pieces that most likely fell to earth during a volcanic episode . Were you near Calistoga ?

Last edited:

FC-Treasure

Sep 9, 2011
Northern VA
arrowhead factories have lots of thin flakes. When you make an arrowhead, you do it by chipping away at the sides which results in flat, thin, sharp pieces. Your rocks are not derived from making arrowheads.

OP
OP
S

sublimages

Jun 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
arrowhead factories have lots of thin flakes. When you make an arrowhead, you do it by chipping away at the sides which results in flat, thin, sharp pieces. Your rocks are not derived from making arrowheads.

That's a really good point, i didn't think of that aspect of it.

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quito is right...you've found Obsidian Nodules or Apache tears. I do happen to live in a "arrowhead factory" as you say, and what we find everywhere looks more

like this...... RSCN8693.JPG ...although we also have the "tears", because of the surrounding "younger" volcanos in the area.

OP
OP
S

sublimages

Jun 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quito is right...you've found Obsidian Nodules or Apache tears. I do happen to live in a "arrowhead factory" as you say, and what we find everywhere looks more

like this...... View attachment 1201381 ...although we also have the "tears", because of the surrounding "younger" volcanos in the area.

That makes a lot more sense... There must be tons of obsidian in that field then, wish i could go back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread