Who Could Resist a Random Hole In The Ground While Hunting Points?

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me and some friends were hunting points in the Texas hill country and came upon a single random hole in the ground. The friend that got us access to this ranch was local to the area and said these holes were not exactly a rarity. He didn't seem too excited as he's not a hardcore relic hunter. I, on the other hand, was not from the hill country and had never seen a hole like this. My treasure hunting mind started racing and I could imagine how many prehistoric peoples fell in this hole never to be seen again and how the bottom MUST be covered with their bones and lithics.

Safety third right? I had to check it out. When we got down close to the hole it sounded like it had rattlesnakes in it. First thing was to make sure the opening was clear enough that I could get in far enough to start shooting without getting bit. No way were a few rattlesnakes going to keep me from a pile of artifacts. In true Indiana Jones fashion I slithered down the hole, hit the bottom, drew my pistol and quickly scanned the area with my light...but there were no snakes, no epic pile of artifacts just two baby vultures hissing at me. Cute when they're young but they had the place stinking. You don't even want to know what I was standing in. I took a few pics and eased back out. We walked miles of this ranch and didn't find a single relic.

No wildlife was injured in the making of these images...unfortunately I scraped my shoulder.

IMG_0335.JPG IMG_0338.JPG IMG_0339.JPG IMG_0340.JPG IMG_0341.JPG IMG_0344.JPG IMG_0348.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shew! baby vultures but sure are cute! Here in Western NC mountains we call those holes tater holes and sometimes they open up into old abandoned gold mines. Thanks for sharing and too bad there wasn't anything in there.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
''And the adventure begins!'' That seems odd for vultures to nest below ground, I was under the impression the they would nest in trees and high in cliff underhangs.

OP
OP
garren

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Western NC mountains we call those holes tater holes and sometimes they open up into old abandoned gold mines.

Wonder how they came up with the term "Tater Hole"? I don't think potatoes would grow in this hole. :tongue3:

''And the adventure begins!'' That seems odd for vultures to nest below ground, I was under the impression the they would nest in trees and high in cliff underhangs.

I thought it was odd too. Baby vultures was the last thing I was expecting to find.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Cool, it's always amazing how some of those little holes open up into a bigger space.

New World Vultures (buzzards, turkey vultures, black vultures, california condor, etc.) don't usually build normal bird nests. Rock piles, caves, ledges, hollow logs, etc. are all great nesting sites for them.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have been just like that, wanting to go into the hole and thinking there was lots of booty in the hole.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool outing!

Mind if I ask what county you were in?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

OP
OP
garren

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool outing!

Mind if I ask what county you were in?

I wasn't sure exactly where we were so I loaded the GPS data from the photos into Google Earth and it looks like we were about 7 miles NE of Kerrville in Kerr Co.

Heres a screenshot of the area...Google says we took the photo where the yellow dot is.

The hole location.jpg

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wasn't sure exactly where we were so I loaded the GPS data from the photos into Google Earth and it looks like we were about 7 miles NE of Kerrville in Kerr Co.

Heres a screenshot of the area...Google says we took the photo where the yellow dot is.

View attachment 1206682
Right on man, you were just a tad southwest of my location.
And remember, in Texas them winged things are called "buzzards", haha!

Digg Mo

Oct 18, 2006
Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro,Tesoro Sidewinder,Tesoro Conquistador, Tesoro Tigershark, Troy Shadow X2, Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. If hadn't been taking a nap, I would have of been right behind you. Still laughing about how fast you climbed out of the hole when you first heard the noise. Don't forget the creek with all of the bottles.

OP
OP
garren

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still laughing about how fast you climbed out of the hole when you first heard the noise.

That was almost funny...except my poor shoulder

Don't forget the creek with all of the bottles.

Shhhhhhhhhh...we're not through digging that one yet. :)

Last edited:

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I give you credit for going in! " Insert body, feet first into deep hole in earth, then scan for poisonous snakes"

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you do any digging around in the bottom, anything old may have been covered with dirt, except bird poop!!

OP
OP
garren

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you do any digging around in the bottom, anything old may have been covered with dirt, except bird poop!!

I wanted to, real bad....but couldn't stomach it. It was solid buzzard poop! :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread