• IMG_0139_1.JPG
    IMG_0139_1.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
Upvote 0

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.
That is real neat! I haven't seen one with holes drilled in it yet. Thanks for showing us your boys find, and get back down to that waterway!
badandy

A

Atlantis0077

Morning,

I find pottery pieces here with holes rarely. The usual cause for the holes is twofold...one, they hung the pots up by means of the holes and two if the pot was cracked in some way the would drill a hole on either side of the crack and lace it together like a corset....lol. Interesting to find them though.

Happy Hunting

Atlantis

OP
OP
Sidevalve45

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter/Sharp Shooter
It's a cool spot. We visit the place regularly and have found other artifacts as well. I plan on posting them when I get time. Thanks, SV

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
From the looks of it, I don't think the holes were drilled in the pottery. It's very commonplace in some woodland cultural pottery to "push" nodes from the inside of the bowl outwards. They would take a round stick and push from the inside, made a bump or node on the outside. That piece looks like the nodes broke off, leaving it looking like just holes. Several woodland pieces, such as Cooper Zone Stamped, practiced that technique.

OP
OP
Sidevalve45

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Hi Matt,
After looking at the piece again I think you are probably right. Found this tiny Madison point last night not far from where the pottery piece was found.

Attachments

• IMG_0173_1.JPG
    IMG_0173_1.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 273

SimonLakeSub

Dec 6, 2006
My friend has a small pot, with 2 holes in it. (late woodland) I was also under the impression the holes were put there to repair the pot. (New york)

Regards Simon

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Simon, they do drill holes in pottery sometimes to repair it. Also, sometimes they would drill holes on opposing sides of the rim, to suspend them by (like in seed jars). However, in this case...I believe it's a case of Hopewellian pottery (rarer than hen's teeth) that had the nodes broken off at the top, making the "holes". I have several pieces of pottery like it and let me tell you, it's some of the most rare and hard to acquire pottery there is. I have hundreds of pottery vessels (yes, hundreds)...and not a single totally complete Hopewellian pot. They are more rare than any clovis, Eden, Complete Calf Creek, Folsom, or even a Mimbres Figural. I have found alot of Cooper Zone Stamped vessel shards..but none close to complete, it's a goal of mine. If I can remember some time, I'll take pics of some Hopewellian pottery just like that shard to show.

coalfire

Dec 16, 2006
East Coast
personally I would say the hole are for hanging. Below is a photo of an Iriquois pot. The neck is for the rope to hang it. also Susquehannock types have the neck flopped ovet and the rope then went around to hand it. This material that yours is made of looks older than woodland but I am not an expert. Great find thanks for the view!
~Z~

OP
OP
Sidevalve45

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Thanks to all of you for the input. How old do you think it is? Also I tried to get a little bit to the holes with the camera but I don't think you can see much better detail.

Attachments

• IMG_0236_1.JPG
    IMG_0236_1.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0227_1.JPG
    IMG_0227_1.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 183

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Ok, here are a few pics of some deteriorated Cooper Zone Stamped pottery (I have better ones, but these will suffice to show the type). These are Hopewell (mid woodland) shards. All are rim shards, the top 3 are from one vessel and are connectors from one vessel. The bottom one is there to show you how they can do rim decoration. These are NOT drilled holes. They would take a round instrument (stick) and push it from the inside of the pot outwards and round them off on the outside to made "nodes" for decoration. Typically rim decoration would consist of lines (as sidevalves is), to more complicated patterns...and a high number would have these nodes. Look closely at the top three pieces and you will notice the shard at the top had the outside "node" deteriorate or break off..this is what left the hole. The inside holes on these pieces are still caked with mud, sorry..I should've cleaned them off to give you a better view...but you get the idea anyways. The bottom shard also had the same nodes and that is where the shard is broken off. You can see a few of the semi-circular marks where the nodes were, if you look closely. If you look at the outside surface of sidevalves shard, you can clearly see where they nodes broke off, or deteriorated. Anyways..hope this helps.

Attachments

• czs1.jpg
    czs1.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 187
  • czs2.jpg
    czs2.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 192

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions