921.3 KB · Views: 129
Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
The one on the right looks like a drill to me, and a nice one, the other piece looks like debitage.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Allen or Whitley County? I grew up hunting there, and that chert looks awfully familiar. I used to hunt around Columbia City, Aboite township, Leo/Cedarville, Grabil and the reservoirs. Lots of good areas out there, but most of it is deeper than the plow goes now-a-days.

The little triangle is probably a Springwells point. That's more of the technical name you'd see in archaeological reports than the common name, most collectors would call it a Madison or Ft. Ancient triangle. But Springwells was the late prehistoric group in Northeast Indiana and Michigan at the same time as the more well known Ft Ancient were in Southern Ohio.

The other piece could one of a couple of things. First, a simple piece of debitage that was knocked off while making a tool. A waste flake, but it shows you people were working stone there. Second, a wedge shaped chunk from a broken artifact (picture a slice of pie, if the pie was shaped like an arrowhead.) Or third a 'piece esquillee' which a a fancy french term for a wedge shaped artifact. You see a lot of that technology in lithic-poor areas like northern Indiana where people would take small cobbles and smash them between an anvil stone and hammer stone (bipolar reduction.) If you get lucky you get a piece you can knap into a point, but usually you get lots of sharp edges and wedges that can be used as burins and drills.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread