Not sure if I have anything

Sep 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stumbled on this in eastern Idaho today. Material appears to be obsidian. I was thinking it was possibly an axe or something of that nature. Any feedback appreciated, cool site!

IMG_2488.JPG IMG_2489.JPG

Upvote 0

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
are these images of the same item?
They look like two separate items
any more pics?
Close ups?
need to see of its a fossil or a worked stone
white colorerazation looks odd to me
Brady

OP
OP
W
Sep 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
are these images of the same item?
They look like two separate items
any more pics?
Close ups?
need to see of its a fossil or a worked stone
white colorerazation looks odd to me
Brady

Sorry, this is all one item. It is a triangular shape and appears odd from different sides. The white is not that prominent in person, I tried to get some more pics here for you. Wetted the rock a little bit to try and get some of the dirt and dust off.

IMG_2491.JPG IMG_2492.JPG IMG_2493.JPG IMG_2494.JPG

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Clearly not obsidian. Item appears to be a striking tool. If obsidian, it would shatter. Judging only by the images provided, my opinion runs toward any of the several basalts found in the area. There are many other black rocks found in the region that could also be used as a striking tool, but basalts are most common.

Where in eastern Idaho? Pocatello? Blackfoot? Spencer? Just curious on that question. Enjoy.

OP
OP
W
Sep 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clearly not obsidian. Item appears to be a striking tool. If obsidian, it would shatter. Judging only by the images provided, my opinion runs toward any of the several basalts found in the area. There are many other black rocks found in the region that could also be used as a striking tool, but basalts are most common.

Where in eastern Idaho? Pocatello? Blackfoot? Spencer? Just curious on that question. Enjoy.

Ashton area, Rexburg is closest "big" town.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i have one of those....if it is a tool, it would have been used to burnish something...polish. If it had been found in an area that produced pottery it would have been used for adding a "glaze" like finish. but i don't know...when people tan hides to a high finish, would they have used a tool like that?

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one is hard to say, the groove looks pecked, but that is just from a photo. The rest of the stone looks to be natural. hard to say without it being in your hand.:dontknow:Thanks for posting!!!! Welcome to T-net:hello:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The material is throwing me cant put my finger on it. Did you find it on a beach or in water? Looks almost like a big hunk of slag glass to me which isnt worth any $ but is a cool find.

OP
OP
W
Sep 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appreciate all the feedback! It was found in the floodplane of a river, if that helps at all. I've been up and down this creek several times and have never seen this material, which is why it initially caught my eye.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its a big piece of water worn glass. Slag glass is pitted but will wear like that in moving current. I find it here in different colors and sizes.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Hematite is the lithic, I do believe. As Monsterrack mentioned, the groove looks pecked. I think you have a nice artifact. Nature probably provided desired features. Why not use stones that require little work? Little pecking and.... Wala a functioning tool!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread