Another stone I am curious about

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope I am not adding too much to the numbers of geofacts posted here. I found this one walking a local field today. I kept it because of the shape, but did not think much of it because of the material (limestone). After washing it I realized it is very thick with shell fossils and actually quite hard. Also it seems ground to shape and though MN geology can do amazing things it is hard to say how nature could do just this to this rock. I don't know, what do you think?

GroundFieldStone-2015-10-09-Img_8826SSS.jpg

GroundFieldStone-2015-10-09-Img_8827SSS.jpg

GroundFieldStone-2015-10-09-Img_8828SSS.jpg

GroundFieldStone-2015-10-09-Img_8829SSS.jpg

GroundFieldStone-2015-10-09-Img_8830SSS.jpg

Thank you for looking.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, its a geofact...Better luck next time....

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a piece of weathered Limestone. Very common find but not an artifact.

Yes limestone or creek rock is where I have seen it in my area. Comes in a lot of different shapes. Should have a grainy texture to it if you rub it.

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I find a whole lot of limestone here in all shapes and sizes. Finding it full of fossils is pretty typical here too. Just not used to finding one that is symmetrical with so many strait edges (other than along the line the sediment formed). That said I really wasn't sure what it would be useful for other than grinding things so I should have known better.

Thanks guys for setting me strait on this one. I don't give up easy so hopefully I can find something decent before the winter settles in. I am hoping it won't take finding a new place to look. It is not lost on me that I might be looking in a location a little too far from water to have had much regular activity / camps.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now if you are walking a field and you find a chunk of it on top of a hill it could of been carried there from the past. At times there will be flint in the middle. It depends on the rock. Crack it open and have a look here its usually grainy gray inside which is not a good knapping rock

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread