Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So......

I found this in North Central PA back in the spring, thought to myself, "must be a large cent someone shot"......after all, why else would it be holed, even though I found it odd someone would shoot a penny back then. It seems to be the Coronet Variety 1816-1839. Well I was watching "Diggers" about a month ago and the one guy found a holed large cent, he thought it was shot, when he showed the archeologist, he claimed it was not shot but holed by a Native American. I've tried looking this practice up online but really didn't find anything, what do you guys think, have you heard of this? It seems to be "punched or shot" twice, once on the obverse side (second picture), then it was flipped over and punched or shot on the reverse side. You can tell by the copper being forced out on both sides. I really didn't notice this until I watched the episode of Diggers and cleaned the coin better. It was found close to a large river bank, many Indians and Settlers clashed in the area.

Thanks!

c2.jpg c1.jpg

Upvote 0

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you heard it said on "Diggers" then it must be true:laughing7: ...really though, no clue from me but it sure is cool.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I found this in North Central PA back in the spring, thought to myself, "must be a large cent someone shot"......after all, why else would it be holed, even though I found it odd someone would shoot a penny back then. It seems to be the Coronet Variety 1816-1839.

I'd bet most of the Indians were gone from PA by 1800 or so, almost certainly by the war of 1812. There were probably individuals who moved down from New York or over from Ohio on occasion, but I don't think they were worried about turning coins into beads.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
I agree with Joshuaream, most Indians were gone in Pa by that time. Your coin was indeed punched, perhaps by a square nail (?) not shot by a firearm as evidenced by the metal flaring from both sides. This coin if knotted with some leather would make a good clasp with a loop for a bag flap. Good find with some interesting possibilities,

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was probably used as a washer. I have heard that there was a point where washers for roofs were 2 cents apiece and pennys were cheaper to use. Not sure if thats true or not but I did once drill a hole in a modern penny to use it as a washer so that would be my guess.

OP
OP
Tedyoh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd bet most of the Indians were gone from PA by 1800 or so, almost certainly by the war of 1812. There were probably individuals who moved down from New York or over from Ohio on occasion, but I don't think they were worried about turning coins into beads.

Good points Josh and everyone else - it was in Cameron County PA, but that county wasn't formed until 1860 something, formed from boundary Elk and McKean counties I do believe, so somewhat hard to find any hard Indian history, the last battle with settlers I found was in 1786 or so, battle of Grove Run.

Thanks.

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does indeed look like it was pierced with a square nail to me. I have heard of ones nailing coins to their homes for "luck", but I have yet to find out if this practice was true. How would one know that a native "holed" it? Seems kind of far-fetched to make that assumption,(In my humble opinion) However, I have personally seen a lead sheet that coins were "nailed" into and shot at. There were bullet holes, and reverse impressions of coins that were obviously shot, and holes where square nails were used to "hold" the coins in place....The person also found coins that had been shot with a .22 cal. and they also had square holes in the "top" edge, that matched the impressions in the lead plate! It was a really cool artifact!

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it def doesnt look like a round ball...if it was a bullet it was shot two or three times....prolly round a 22 cal...if shot once..the projectile def keyholed! who know but its cool! where in north central PA? like town near location...im from up that way just a little east!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have shot coins with a 22 before...we all have...haven't holed one yet, lots of bent ones however....

mwb76

Nov 20, 2011
chester county pa
Detector(s) used
whites xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a quick question are the pics of both sides of the coin if so looks like it was punched 2 directions

mwb76

Nov 20, 2011
chester county pa
Detector(s) used
whites xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry should read lines before posting reply I have 1 very similar but with two perfect square holes

OP
OP
Tedyoh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it def doesnt look like a round ball...if it was a bullet it was shot two or three times....prolly round a 22 cal...if shot once..the projectile def keyholed! who know but its cool! where in north central PA? like town near location...im from up that way just a little east!

Emporium is the closest "big town", after i cleaned it with electrolysis, definitely not shot, pierced by something from both sides, you can see the flattening of the copper on one side from when it was flipped, layed on a rock or something hard and repericed or punched.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread