Bits & Pieces in Pa.

george77

Greenie
May 31, 2007
Harrisburg, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300
Bits & Pieces in Pa.

I'm new to metal detecting and relic/artifact hunting. But I've been reading up on local history for years now. Anyway, my childhood stomping grounds always held some intangible allure for me, as the woods at the edge of town do for most young boys (and girls).

I believe they sit on top of, or very nearby to, a Native American town.

Ignoring the coins in the picture, my finds include a pottery shard, a broken pendant or gorget, and two musket balls--one lead and one stone, I believe.

Can anyone confirm my initial identification of the pattern on the pottery as being typical Iroquois, Susquehannock, or Delaware? And how about the pendant/gorget, any guesses of origin?

And finally, has anyone else found stone musket balls? Is there a history of Native American use of stone musket balls? I read that stones were used at times, and presumed that, if anyone, they would have made such ammunition when lead was not available or traded for.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

HH,
George

P.S. This is just as fun as I dreamed it would be!

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 290
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 254
Upvote 0

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Bits & Pieces in Pa.

Welcome george77, this is a great hobby, as you
will soon learn.

I can't help on the identification of the gorget & pottery
but some indians used stone balls for "gaming pieces"
Good luck & HH,

Fossis.................

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.

Nice pottery and coins! The stone balls you speak of were more than likely game balls, kinda like todays marbles. Jmo.
badandy

coalfire

Dec 16, 2006
East Coast

Hell yes it is Susquehannock but they had Iroquois influence. What you have, I believe, is an outer neck of a pot. In the photo below that is Iroquois.(I have seen Susquehannock just like this photo also) The Susquehannock types had the top rim flopped over. then incised on the outer rim for decoration.. I hunted in the Susquehannock areas for years about an hour north of Harrisburg. Most of my old fields are over hunted but most of my points are susquehannock black flint types. I yoused to live in Shamokin, Sunbury, Milton and Kulpmont.
~Z~

Attachments

• pottery.jpg
    pottery.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 312
OP
OP
G

george77

Greenie
May 31, 2007
Harrisburg, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300

Thanks for the info and well-wishing, guys. I look forward to seeing more of your stuff and (hopefully) sharing more of mine, as I find it.

HH
George

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread