Please help a newbie... Broken tool or point?

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all... I'm very new to looking for artifacts and I don't know much yet. I found this item, albeit broken, that looks worked to me... the back doesn't look impressive but you can see 3 clear ridges on the other side. What do you think? It was found in an area where other artifacts have been found (of the same color... red and brown.) Any info is appreciated.

IMG_4490.jpg IMG_4492.jpg IMG_4494.jpg

Upvote 0

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It might be a flake, a byproduct of stone tool manufacture. I'd say at best, and not a tool itself. Material is remindful of some felsites from Southeastern New England, but that's pretty much a worthless guess, since you didn't say where you found it......

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Charl says maybe a piece knocked off at best... Welcome to TreasureNet..

OP
OP
F

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was found in the Philadelphia area. I'm guessing you'd say it's a flake since it's rough in some areas and not worked on the back? Still learning! If anything, I can see it as a sign that there could be good stuff nearby.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a flake that has had other flake removed so by the true meaning of the word it could be considered and artifact since it was altered by man. But I don't think it was ever utilized by man as a Tool. You are correct though that there is probably some nice pieces in the area. If you are finding worked flakes you should eventually find some artifacts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread