I am new to looking for Arrowheads,

tjspringfield

Greenie
Nov 6, 2015
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I found this place in the woods near where I live and was wondering if anyone thinks this would be a good place to look for some..? Also, on the picture on the right, (you cant see it very well) but there are rock shelf's that hangover the hill in front of the river that look like they could have provided some kind of shelter maybe..

this is North East of Atlanta

thank you, thomas

Attachments

• woods1.jpg
    woods1.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 108
  • woods2.jpg
    woods2.jpg
    465.1 KB · Views: 111
Upvote 0

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Where ever Native Americans hunted, and there settlements are, is where your going to find them. Have you done any history searching, to see what tribes may have been in your area? I would think they could be in the area you have pictured, as long as they were hunting or living close by.

Look for stone/sand bars, that are out of the water. They can get lodged in those area's.

Good Luck

OP
OP
T

tjspringfield

Greenie
Nov 6, 2015
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done some research but I cant really find much on the county I am in. and thank you for the help!

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I plan to make a sifter that I will shake the gravel bars in the creeks around here for. If you find a few in there you may have a good spot. That would be the easier start.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site and digger460 has some good advice and tips for you there. I live in a county in western NC that is known for an encampment by the name of the Berry site or Joara but I live on the opposite end of the county and have for 20 years. We've had gardens all over our field which is a little over 3 acres and I've never found anything in those spots not even any rocks but a creek is my property line at the back. I started finding pottery shards in the creek 3 yrs ago and was so happy to know that I lived on an ancient campsite so I've been in the creek ever since finding all kinds of artifacts, not just pottery. So what I'm getting at here is keep looking and do research, check out the local museum, things like that to help you be able to "see" it when you're out hunting because sometimes it hides right in front of your eyes.

Good luck and don't forget to post what you find here so we can check them out!

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there any plowed fields close to this site? I don't know why but native Americans sure did like to drop artifacts in plowed fields!:laughing7: All joking aside you need to answer a few questions for yourself. Is this area easily accessible? Is it flood prone? Is there a raised flat area nearby that would be suitable for a camp?
It does look like a slightly submerged sand bar in your picture so you may want to try digging in it to see if anything is there.

OP
OP
T

tjspringfield

Greenie
Nov 6, 2015
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah there is a lot of sand bars in the area! I am going tomorrow I will post pics if I find anything. thank you

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if you find any they will be white quartz. Im from Georgia and hunt creeks. That looks like a creek to me and not a river. Its illegal to hunt the rivers here so Im sure its a big creek.
Try to find a creek with sand and cobbles in it instead of that shale. The NA people didnt seem to care for the shale and schist. Schist can splinter and is very hard on the bare feet. rock

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread