Have you guys ever or heard of pearls being found on settlements?

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I found a pearl awhile back at a archaic settlement I have been hunting?Unfortunatly I can't post it now because my old computer crashed and this one I have now I can't figure out how to upload pictures,It is a little bigger than a buckshot and pretty much completely round,it is mostly white and I guess a little yellowish in color in a smooth spot where it looks like it might have been polished?Kind of hard to type a description of it,hopefully I will figure this computer out before to long so I can post it,I have a couple other things I want you guys to look at and tell me what they might be also.There is a freshwater river that runs along the backside of the site which makes me think that is possibly what it might be.I was wondering if you guys know if people find pearls on sites,or know anything about the Natives acquiring them?I have tried typing in Native American pearls and stuff along them lines and nothing come up about them.

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Havent heard of that before but they did trade so you never know. I hear ya on the uploading of pics. I got my comp fixed and now it wont upload nothing. Ive been out and found some decent stuff and cant share them. Sorry wish I could help

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah I am not very technology savvy when it comes to things.Hopefully I'll figure it out soon or will have to get someone to help.All the same it is good to be back on here.I am sorry to hear about Larson,I just noticed that a little while ago.It was a shame to see the news.How have things been in your neck of the woods?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I miss him every time winter comes cause I know he use to love to play the guitar in the winter time. He also gave me a gift package when I first joined.
Im doing okay my father passed away this year he was real sick for a while. I havent been on as much as I use to cause of it. Went today looking it was a nice day to be out found a couple things nothing great.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very very sorry to hear that man.that really sucks man.I Dred the day Mine leaves this world.Don't know what I will do without him.It is good to know this world isn't the end.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen fresh water pearls found on sites and some where even drilled and used a Beads. If I'm not mistaken, one of the Hopewell or Adena Mounds in Ohio had a large cache of Pearl Beads in it.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah I am not very technology savvy when it comes to things.Hopefully I'll figure it out soon or will have to get someone to help.All the same it is good to be back on here.I am sorry to hear about Larson,I just noticed that a little while ago.It was a shame to see the news.How have things been in your neck of the woods?

Sounds like the drivers for both of your devices are missing. If they are plugged in to USB cables to upload from try unplugging the cable from the computer if it's plugged in, reboot the computer and plug cable back in to a different port and plug in device and turn the device on. It should auto update the driver for the device. If it doesn't then you will have to find the driver on the internet or if the device came with a cd then the driver will be on it. Hope that helps. If not then pm me the model of the device you're trying to connect and I might can help you search.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of fresh water pearls found at the Spiro site as grave offerings. Pearls seem to be a mound builder thing as we haven't found them in association with later cultures in Oklahoma.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fresh water mussels yield pearls. Although I'm not familiar with any at sites here in southern New England, salt water shellfish were a staple of the native diet. I can't imagine all those oysters being consumed and no pearls encountered and collected. It must have occurred....

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks,pretty interesting stuff.There are a few small mounds on somewhat of a hillside not to far from the site.I have always took them as being Native burials considering there location.Pretty sure the site Is early to mid archaic by the tools I have found , did find one transitional period Paleo point there.I figured the Native's coveted pearls,just couldn't find anything about it.gonna look more into it now.Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like the drivers for both of your devices are missing. If they are plugged in to USB cables to upload from try unplugging the cable from the computer if it's plugged in, reboot the computer and plug cable back in to a different port and plug in device and turn the device on. It should auto update the driver for the device. If it doesn't then you will have to find the driver on the internet or if the device came with a cd then the driver will be on it. Hope that helps. If not then pm me the model of the device you're trying to connect and I might can help you search.
thank you Peaches.I tried what you said.i think my camera is not compatible with the windows?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be the camera card also. Hopefully this week I can fix mine

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen a string of fresh water pearls that were drilled and found in a mound in Marksville La. The state documented them has trade beads due to the fact that alot of glass beads were found also. We were asked to look over some of their items on display and discovered what they were. Alot of different cultures used them as beads
Would love to see a picture of yours.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Yes. Spiro mound is famous for them. A couple of different Hopewell platform pipes had pearls inlaid for eyes, and there is a type of cut & drilled bear tooth found on Hopewell sites in Illinois that often have pearl inlays.

These aren't from North America, but here are some pearls I've dug/sifted on a very early Spanish Colonial site in the Caribbean. I've also found lots of little drilled pearls with native made shell beads.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/shipwrecks/134078-spanish-pearls-caribbean-1600-1700-s.html

The main difference with freshwater bivalves and pearl oysters from the ocean is the frequency of finds. The Spiro collection probably represents multiple generations of collections of a large population eating tons of fresh water mussels (the collection of a lot of 1 in a million finds), the Hopewell finds were probably extremely rare trade goods. Pearls from the southern Caribbean were essentially mined because a majority of oysters had them (larger specimens were still very rare, but smaller ones were stunningly common.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions