Need your expertise...

RTDog

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this walking my dog last weekend in Hunterdon County,NJ. It was on the surface in a location where the earth may have been disturbed approximately 50 years ago. Length of the blade/point would have been around 5.25" if intact; base is 1.5"; max width 1.75". Composition is very fine grained- brown jasper possibly? Faces seem to be symmetrical. I found this by dumb luck and stumbled on this great site trying to figure out what I have. Any thoughts as to possible age or origin? Thanks!

image.jpeg

Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Hmm! Nice piece.

Parallel flaking, no basal grinding.

Not sure what to say other than, it's probably pretty old and a Really nice find!!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shame on the impact fracture on the tip but probably tells a story on its use. Its a keeper

OP
OP
R

RTDog

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this more likely a spear point? A knife? Something else?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guessing but probably a knife

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think they had some really big spear points back in the day,that some are to quick to call a knife.nice find and thanks for sharing.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i really do not know how to tell,i no that it does not take much of a blade to skin something out.a knife would have to be inserted into something like a bone,a round hole, the base should reflect that,it should not be squared off i would think,but again im just someone who can find them.there is no bone that i find so i can not tell,but the bone handles that i see from others have a round hole,no notch in them.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brown jasper is the material and i'm leaning towards Fox Creek as the type. Hope this helps...............GTP

OP
OP
R

RTDog

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all who took time to look and especially to those who replied. I admit I'm kind of floored to think someone was using this possibly thousands of years ago in my backyard. Puts a 30-year mortgage in perspective...

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice piece of jasper there... Not too far away from me. I have a few friends who live and collect in that county. Can u post a picture of the other side too?? Way to go keeping your eyes open out there!!:thumbsup:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is showing early flaking at that. Might be a Late Paleo/Early Archaic lance. Heck of a nice find.

OP
OP
R

RTDog

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are pix of both sides, as requested.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is most likely a late paleo style Lance blade. If a fox creek, it would have a slight stemmed base, and this doesnt. Seeing the other side helped determine it because often, some points will have a really nicely flaked side and then the other side would show some more typical random flaking, but this one exhibits nice even flaking... It is a shame that it has some damage, but it is an excellent piece of ancient history!!
Would be nice to see if the base has any grinding/polish... When you posted the other side i was hoping to see a big flute down the middle and then we would have known it to be a Northumberland type blade!!! But, it is still an awesome piece!!!

OP
OP
R

RTDog

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PaDirtDigger - thanks for the evaluation- very much appreciated!

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you possibly show a front and back picture of the piece from north to south so i can look at the symmetry of the blade? One side shows constriction. I want to see if it is just a chip. Thanks..........

Peter Iredale

Jun 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a clovis point or another early northamerican point. Likely between 12000 and 6000 years

OP
OP
R

RTDog

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if I have the correct orientation here (north/south) but here is detail of the edges and base. image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After seeing a close up of base i see no basal grinding consistent with paleo pieces. I will say it looks like a early archaic to middle archaic. I believe after seeing all photos that it is a Agate Basin. I have found examples in Northwest New Jersey.........jmo...........GTP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions