Largest pottery piece Ive found so far in my creek

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Largest pottery piece I've found so far in my creek

I found this big shard today on a pile of white/gray clay that had broken off from a super tall clay bank due to the big flooding rain we had yesterday, it was inside facing up and had the clay stuck all over it but I knew when I saw the curve and dark color what it was. I got so excited I forgot to get an insitu pic and retrieving it was tricky. I did, however, get a couple of it right after I swished it off in the creek. The small shard I found earlier when I was downstream.

The first two pics are right after I found it when I was in the creek and the rest after I washed it and it dried when I was back at the house. I think it's Burke Phase because it's tempered with soapstone but will get more details next Saturday. Thanks for looking and HH!

WP_20160116_001.jpg WP_20160116_002.jpg WP_20160116_005.jpg WP_20160116_006.jpg WP_20160116_007.jpg WP_20160116_008.jpg

Upvote 0

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice big chunk of pottery you found there, way to go!

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you are getting closer to the pot, nice shard.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think the dent on the side is a place where a handle was? Nice piece

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is nice! You have great success with the pottery so it seems certain that points have to be there too. Hope 2016 has some amazing finds in store for you!

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think the dent on the side is a place where a handle was? Nice piece

I wondered about that because the edge closest to the dent looks more rounded than the others and it's possible this is a rim section. I know that pot must have been large because the curve is not deep.

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is nice! You have great success with the pottery so it seems certain that points have to be there too. Hope 2016 has some amazing finds in store for you!

Yes I'm sure the points are there but I have to wait for the natural erosion to bring them out on this section of it due to it's not my property. :unhappysmiley: I do,however, have her permission to hunt the creek there and so glad for that much but I'm watching this spot as it erodes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions