Native American Carved Stone

NolanTheExplorer

May 11, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, ProPointer, Ace 250, GTA 1250, Radio Shack Bounty Hunter, Eye Balls, Intuition, Instinct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Buddy found this in a creek near our house. Not sure what it is.
Ideas?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453134575.871878.jpg

Good luck to everyone out there!
DHD

Upvote 0

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pure speculation...Maybe it was used to mash up like indigo or some kind of dye then they could tilt it and the liquid would pour out the little spout there. Thats my best guess haha. Awesome find!

I think you are on to something.:icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:
Marvin
images

https://www.google.com/search?q=anc...X&ved=0ahUKEwjh7MOCyLfKAhUKSSYKHe99D_8Q7AkIMg

OP
OP
NolanTheExplorer

NolanTheExplorer

May 11, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, ProPointer, Ace 250, GTA 1250, Radio Shack Bounty Hunter, Eye Balls, Intuition, Instinct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No more granite like. Hard and heavy.

OP
OP
NolanTheExplorer

NolanTheExplorer

May 11, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll add:
Granite like stone
Very hard
Very heavy

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did you go about checking the hardness? My first thought was a small steatite bowl. Or a huge undrilled boatstone! More pictures might help. Cool find either way.

OP
OP
NolanTheExplorer

NolanTheExplorer

May 11, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hard to the touch. common sense check, not a check with tools.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you get some more photos of this item like the bottom and the sides. I have never seen a lamp made of stone by a NA, most were made of pottery?

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
DeadheadDigger - Really a neat find. Like monsterrack said, can we see more pictures? This is an unusual piece - frankly right now I no idea what it is. My gut tells me that if it's a native piece it's post contact. Nice find and I hope you're able to find more info on it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread from "Today's Finds" moved & merged with this thread...

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This item has a lot of questions, like if it was made for a lamp or to mash up berries for a dye it would have to be held in the hand, because what I see in the one photo is that it has a round bottom. Other odd thing is why would they make a bend in the outlet flow area, unless this is a natural item from a fossil that was altered, but it still is a lot of work for something that had to be hand held to use. It would be real nice to have more photo's and we would have a better chance to be able to ID this item.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need more pics like the bottom and sides. Could be natural or could of been used more pics will tell.

OP
OP
NolanTheExplorer

NolanTheExplorer

May 11, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Need more pics like the bottom and sides. Could be natural or could of been used more pics will tell.

Natural? Hah
I'll try to get moe pics on here soon.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Natural? Hah
I'll try to get moe pics on here soon.

So Im guessing we arent going to see more pics of it? Im wrong once in a while but without more pics we will never know if Im rite or wrong. Id like to be proven wrong and it be a find of a lifetime for you.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
The finder mentioned it early on, but it looks just like an oil lamp. The tail of the comma would have given the wick a perfect place to rest and burn steady. I am not aware of ancient oil lamps being found that far south, but once you get up to the northern Atlantic they are pretty standard artifacts (they are common in many parts of the world.)

If I had it, instead of natural or manmade, my question would be is it Native American or something historic? Whale oil lamps would have been used in most houses into the 1800's, kerosene became more common but whale oil was cheaper even into the early 1900's. Heavy steatite lamps were common even into the historic period.

OP
OP
NolanTheExplorer

NolanTheExplorer

May 11, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So Im guessing we arent going to see more pics of it? Im wrong once in a while but without more pics we will never know if Im rite or wrong. Id like to be proven wrong and it be a find of a lifetime for you.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455120341.000756.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455120350.871115.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455120365.812607.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455120375.567231.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455120387.022634.jpg

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
I would think it's NA, just because of the bottom, it's not flat and would've sat nicely on an earthen floor, whereas I would assume colonials would've likely given it a flatter bottom to sit upon a desk, etc.

As to it being natural formation ( minus tool marks), I wouldn't think so, but certainly far stranger geofacts are out there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NolanTheExplorer

NolanTheExplorer

May 11, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would think it's NA, just because of the bottom, it's not flat and would've sat nicely on an earthen floor, whereas I would assume colonials would've likely given it a flatter bottom to sit upon a desk, etc.

As to it being natural formation ( minus tool marks), I wouldn't think so, but certainly far stranger geofacts are out there.

Thanks for sharing. I personally feel long past the "is it native" question. It's the "what is it" that is bugging us. Could bug us forever I guess..

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever it is, its pretty cool !

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing. I personally feel long past the "is it native" question. It's the "what is it" that is bugging us. Could bug us forever I guess..

Thanks looks to be Soapstone. Pics are much better ty.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread