Native American Carved Stone

NolanTheExplorer

May 11, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, ProPointer, Ace 250, GTA 1250, Radio Shack Bounty Hunter, Eye Balls, Intuition, Instinct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Buddy found this in a creek near our house. Not sure what it is.
Ideas?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453134575.871878.jpg

Good luck to everyone out there!
DHD

Upvote 0

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
Thanks for sharing. I personally feel long past the "is it native" question. It's the "what is it" that is bugging us. Could bug us forever I guess..
Not necessarily. Have you tried contacting any museums/archaeologists and forwarding pics?
I'm certain that whatever it is, it's not the only one ever made and certainly there's someone who can confirm it definitively.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
it should be pretty simple to determine if it was machine ground or not. that would tell a lot.

OP
OP
NolanTheExplorer

NolanTheExplorer

May 11, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, ProPointer, Ace 250, GTA 1250, Radio Shack Bounty Hunter, Eye Balls, Intuition, Instinct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
STILL CANT SOLVE THIS...any new ideas??

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just saw this thread. Missed it in 2016. Can you easily scratch it with a knife, even a butter knife? It may be something unfinished.

dirstscratcher

Mar 8, 2019
N.C. Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's a whale oil lamp, probably for sperm whale oil. The Inuit had similar lamps, but not that exact shape.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Going with the oil lamp thought-just wondering if one tried to actually use it for that purpose.

Putting an oil in the bowl and lay a wick at the end and see if it would function.

Certainly a very cool recovery and a mystery. Congrats on the find.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
also... does it sit stable and level?

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to toss something out here. As long as human history has been documented people have made things. Often just for the sake of making it. Call it art, or experimenting or boredom. It?s always possible it was made by someone who was just making it to make it.

Not everything is made as a tool. Just a thought.

OP
OP
NolanTheExplorer

NolanTheExplorer

May 11, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like all of the recent comments. Thanks folks. It was found in a small creek in Virginia waaay far from the coast line. I think it was a lamp or was used to mix up some sort of liquid concoction and carved so it could be poured out.

It does sit nicely and is balanced, despite the rounded/curved bottom.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread