Western Washington State deer toe rattles

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased this set of 4 deer toe rattles from a Upper-Skagit native, she ran a small gift shop/museum in Concrete, Wa...she said a local native man came in the shop in the 80's with these rattles. The rattles were mounted on the top of a wooden pole or staff, and they clicked together as the pole was thrust into the ground. He said he couldn't sell the pole the rattles were mounted on but had to sell the rattles, because he was desperate for money....long story short the rattles were in the museum for years until the lady had to sell them herself because of health issues, she said they could only be sold as a group and kept together with respect. I don't plan on selling them, I would just like some opinions on the age of the rattles (I know rivets have been around at least a 100 years, but I'm sure these aren't easy to date. Thanks for any comments.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 92
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 95
Upvote 0

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant help you age it, but they are a couple of very neat pieces.

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They took my breath away when I first saw them...I noticed they had some age, but 70's wouldn't suprise me. The set of 4 had to be sold together @ $50 each...$200 for the set. I work with my hands and I know there was some time and effort put into these.
I thought originally they were designed for ankle cuffs in dancing, but they came in mounted to the top of a pole with each cuff tied and overlapping the next cuff.
I also like the colored black leather...is this dye or more modern method?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Well , it is not traditional brain tanned leather so it's source may be non native. Nothing new as since encountering other races trade and exchange has been common.
The leather lacing too looks commercial , as well as the rivets resembling pop rivets.
A lot of dance stuff material is/can be sourced from others...
Deer toes are a pain to clean but are neat for rattles. Goat toes too may work but in tradition of utilizing all you can from a creature ,rattles make sense.
I would probably charge accordingly for the effort if cleaning them for some one else!
They look like they could be worn on ankles no problem but may have been worn higher.
Bells are becoming more common but are a different source and sound.

Deer Toe Leg Rattles - Regalia and Clothing - Mens Clothing Native American Products and Craft Supplies
It is movement that makes them talk.

http://www.powwows.com/2011/09/21/mounting-deer-toes/

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input, I just realized how many blacktail deer are represented in these rattles. Cleaning 128 toes could take some time. They have been a fun conversation piece, be nice to have good info on them to share with them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread