Granite Cone

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't posted much of anything in quite a while because frankly I just haven't found anything worth posting in a very long time. It's not from a lack or trying. I have hunted several times with only brokes or Scrapers to show for it. I did however just purchase this really nice Granite Cone from my brother. He got this from an estate sale of a man who walked the Buckeye Reservoir near Columbus Ohio. He helped build it and found artifacts then and also hunted it every winter when the water level was dropped. My brother bought a large tub of Points, Scrapers, Blades, etc for next to nothing and we went through it found over 400 Points and around 700 total pieces. I picked out a few pieces for helping him sort them and then bought the Cone from him just recently.

The Cone is really nicely polished on the top and bottom and the sides are polished, just not as much as the top and bottom. Still a very nice Cone. The tray is the pieces I picked out. Some nice Hafted Scrapers made from exhausted Ohio Pentagonal Points, some nice Bifurcates, and some nice Knife Blades in each corner. Also a pretty nice Ft Ancient Knife at the top center of the tray.

Attachments

• DSC_0061.jpg
    DSC_0061.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC_0065.jpg
    DSC_0065.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC_0063.jpg
    DSC_0063.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC_0067.jpg
    DSC_0067.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 119
Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the two in the upper corners are both Coshocton and the one in the bottom right is Zaleski.

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That area is loaded with artifacts, would have loved to see the lake being built must have been something!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How big is the cone? Very nice piece and frame. I to got skunked today unless you count 1 scraper and some sherds. At least I got some well needed peace and quiet.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Here are the only 2 cones I have found. They are from two different sites. I know of one other found at one of the sites.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

I also have a piece very similar to the first cone shown here, but my piece had a full groove.
image.jpeg

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a picture of the Cone in my hand to show size. It's not very big, just like most of the others I have seen. It's probably about an inch and half high and about 2 inches across the bottom. I also added a few more pictures of some other Cones and Loafstones I have.

As for their use, there is lots of speculation and theories, but no real solid evidence of what their purpose was. Cones are just another problematical of the artifact world. Some say they are Effigies of the Mounds that were built. I have also heard they were put on the eyes of the dead, though none have ever been found in a grave like that. I can't really give you a precise answer though.

Attachments

• DSC_0072.jpg
    DSC_0072.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Cones and Loafstones (15).jpg
    Cones and Loafstones (15).jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 89
  • Cones and Loafstones (14).jpg
    Cones and Loafstones (14).jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Cones and Loafstones (13).jpg
    Cones and Loafstones (13).jpg
    53 KB · Views: 88
  • Cones and Loafstones (12).jpg
    Cones and Loafstones (12).jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 91
  • Cones and Loafstones (17).jpg
    Cones and Loafstones (17).jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 99

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking cone. I found this very similar one many years ago. It too has an elliptical base which led me to believe that it was salvaged from the poll end of a broken celt. It had been uncovered by the scraping of a dirt road. I scraped with my trowel and found the worn out SR/Arredondo about 4 inches from the cone.

cone.jpg cone1.jpg

arredondo.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread