Spear Point or Knife Blade

krbrid

Greenie
Jan 5, 2016
Alvaton, KY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Almost missed this one when I was about to give up for the day. I had been searching along the banks where two creeks converge, a very small wet weather creek and a much larger one. I turned to walk away when I saw this point lying on top of the creek gravel. It is very rough, almost like it was never finished. Part of the point is broken off, but shows clear signs of being hand worked. It is about 4 inches long, 2 1/2 or so inches wide at the widest point, rather crudely made. One side is very dark almost black, the otherside is very light almost white. I would guess a crudely made spear point or knife blade...any suggestions?

Spear Point Backside.jpg Spear Point Top Side.jpg

Upvote 0

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
While it's impossible for me to say since I don't have this piece in my hand, it looks like debitage to me. I can see several flakes that were removed but I think that happened as a result of trying to knock the cortex off the nodule. It just so happens to be arrowhead shaped by accident in my opinion. The reverse side is more revealing to my eyes, I just can't see the piece being functional. We don't see many crudely made spears, points or blades. Hand worked...yes, tool.....doubtful.

OP
OP
K

krbrid

Greenie
Jan 5, 2016
Alvaton, KY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Probably not functional in its present form and likely debitage, holding it in hand though reveals more detailed work than the photo can show. It looks like whoever tried to make it wanted to turn it into a functional tool...Whether it ever reached that point is questionable and probably not likely. Most debitage I've seen are even more crude in appearance than this one often looking like leftover scrap. This one has a definate shaped appearance when viewed in hand. thanx for the feedback.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I think 1320 nailed it. Man made, but probably a byproduct of knapping vs an intentional tool.

The darker side looks to have had one big hit that "chattered/hinged/step-fractured" when the rock sheered off vs breaking like chert normally does, all of that combined with creek wear.

You see that when people are breaking down low quality chert to get usable bifaces, lots of waste created.

Last edited:

Hot diggity

Nov 19, 2014
Show a side view. Could have been an attempt at a tool. Has the basic shape. Nobody would have been a pro their first few tries. Maybe a younger rookie? Hh

Hot diggity

Nov 19, 2014
I believe this to be an attempt at an arrow head. It's easy to imagine the adolescents keeping close & imitating their elders. Certainly encouraged by the adults. Or maybe it was a dull adult. Not everyone today can even draw a simple picture.

Attachments

• 1455217663520.jpg
    1455217663520.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 95

Hot diggity

Nov 19, 2014
There were well made stone tools easy to recognize by anybody, but I'd bet a lot - if not most were done by the average to less than average hand. Natives were overall incredible stone workers, but they had their share of "underachievers" like every race. Go visit downtown around 2am. Or anytime! Hh

OP
OP
K

krbrid

Greenie
Jan 5, 2016
Alvaton, KY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think everyone is right about this piece...just a byproduct of some attempted work...but at least it was held by someone who knows how long ago, and that is what is important to me about this piece. Pristene or not, it is a small part of our historical past however crude it is and still fun to find.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think everyone is right about this piece...just a byproduct of some attempted work...but at least it was held by someone who knows how long ago, and that is what is important to me about this piece. Pristene or not, it is a small part of our historical past however crude it is and still fun to find.
I agree with you 100 %. Its about the time era / period for me.

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe this to be an attempt at an arrow head. It's easy to imagine the adolescents keeping close & imitating their elders. Certainly encouraged by the adults. Or maybe it was a dull adult. Not everyone today can even draw a simple picture.
Is this onondaga from New York or maybe a type of Dover/Ft. Payne from Tennessee? Looks onondaga to me right away and maybe a completely worn and abused Meadowood blade if so?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread