Small stone axe or stone adze ?

krbrid

Greenie
Jan 5, 2016
Alvaton, KY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Walking along a small gravel bank that runs between two S-curve bends in the creek I have found several items of interest, all within a few yards of each other. The gravel bank sits about 10 feet below a dirt bank that slopes down to it. On top of the dirt bank is a flat area and the creek meanders thru hills and farm country. One of the more interesting pieces I found could be a small adze, scraper, or wood working tool. It is about 4 inches long with two rounded indentations near the back end. The back end slopes sharply to a flat edge while the front end retains a more gradual slope to a flat edge, when viewed from the top. The other side of the object is basically flat. It appears to be made from brown flint. Overall it retains a hand worked appearance, but I'm not sure what it is. It's smallish size seems to indicate possibly a stone adze, but is probably too small to be a stone axe and it is too rough in appearance as they are generally a lot smoother. Here is a link to a similar kind of object that appears to be made out of the same kind of material. Indian Artifacts - Notched Flint Axe - Arrowheads

Any thoughts?

Axe head or Adz.jpg Axe head or Adz2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
all I can say is it is not at all like the adze I found

artifact 009.JPG artifact 005.JPG

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see where you might think it is a crude flaked axe but I agree that it is a natural. Keep Hunting. Good Things Will Come!

OP
OP
K

krbrid

Greenie
Jan 5, 2016
Alvaton, KY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanx for the input. I'm still trying to figure out what this might be. In all honesty, I don't believe it is a naturally occuring rock. The curved indentations are just to precisely made to convince me it is not authentic...but there really isn't enough there to convince me completely it is either. The photo really does not show the details very well so i could see how you might come to your conclusion. Hope you took the time to visit the link provided in the original post Indian Artifacts - Notched Flint Axe - Arrowheads as it shows an identified artifact about the same size, shape, and material, and it looks almost identical. Holding it in hand you can see some hand work details more clearly and it simply does not look like a naturally shaped item. I understand most pristene artifacts like the ones show in the reponses are easy to identify, however not all artifacts are pristene, which makes them tougher to identify. Again, this item appeared out of place where I found it. The area was predominantly river gravel and rounded soft rocks. This piece is of a much harder material and looks nothing like what surrounded it. Also, I have found several items in the same location within a few yards of each other which leads me to believe they are authentic. Thanx again for the input.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry but its natural, its your imagination that is trying to make it an artifact. We have hundreds of years of experience here on Indian artifacts..

Last edited:

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
"Any thoughts?"

Since you don't want to believe several collectors opinions that your piece is natural, perhaps you should take that bad boy to work with you today, or wherever you go. See what your friends and associates have to say.

Not trying to insult anyone, just calling what I see and think, but..... Me thinks, they will think, you have lost a marble or two.

OP
OP
K

krbrid

Greenie
Jan 5, 2016
Alvaton, KY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm sorry you feel that way quito. I was just stating an opinion about the object based on observation and logic. I value all comments on the subject regardless if they agree or not with my opinion. Because I simply disagree with some of them is only based on the fact I have the object in my hand and can study it more closely than they can thru a photo, and because of that I can see details they cannot, even though I tend to agree it does not fit the mold of a pristene artifact. I also compared it to other objects (see the included link above) that were identified as authentic that have a similar size, shape, color, and overall appearance. I may be new to this forum, but I am not naive and gullable and have spent many years reading about and following an interest in ancient artifacts. This particular one was found amongst several other items of interest which indicates a possible connection. I assure you...all of my marbles are safe and secure in their rightful location...:) Thanx for your comment.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
and how bout a pic of the grooves, maybe we can make this an artifact with more to see.

OP
OP
K

krbrid

Greenie
Jan 5, 2016
Alvaton, KY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's a few more images...not as sharp as I would like, but maybe good enough to determine something. Dscounting the techincal merits, when you hold this thing in your hand, it just looks like an artifact. I just don't see how a substance as hard as this is could thru natural forces be randomly shaped like this with beveled sloping areas and circular grooves, plus, it just has that look of being hand made. Anyway...enough of my rantings...Just looking for a fair and honest accessment.No harm in asking...Thanks guys.

DSC02374-ec2r1.jpg DSC02374-ecr1.jpg DSC02375-ecr1.jpg DSC02376-ecr1.jpg DSC02377-ecr1.jpg DSC02378-ecr1.jpg DSC02379-ecr1.jpg DSC02381-ecr1.jpg DSC02383-ecr1.jpg DSC02384-ecr1.jpg

S

stefen

Doesn't hurt to ask for an opinion or evaluation at any time.

This site has a multitude of collectors and experts on the subject, and who will provide a commentary.

There are times when a rock is tumbled over the years and may strike another rock resulting in a flake or two being made. This may appear to be a worked object, but the chips must show a pattern indicating being worked by man, not by accident.

As you make finds in the future, you will begin to recognize what you have.

I find that I gain knowledge most-every time I open a post featuring artifacts.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Thanks for the additional pics! Unfortunately, nothing about them changes my opinion.

For one, the one area that looks like a groove, shows no polish where there should be some if it had been halfted and used at some point. While it has the form of a very crude axe, there is no obvious bit showing.

I really dont don't see anything that says artifact!!!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with quito and stefan. Your new pics are great and show a close up view of the edges that show no obvious flaking. What you are seeing like like fractures from creek tumbling.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting find. It appears natural to me, but many such stones could have been simply picked up and used as ready made tools. Near me, the Native Americans would go to the basalt mountains and gather stones formed by nature, but required almost no work to be effective tools. The material of your find is very cool, it almost looks like a fractured rind of a chert cobble.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks to you all for the educational input. I learn a lot from this site and I've been hunting for over 50 years!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't hurt to ask for an opinion or evaluation at any time.

This site has a multitude of collectors and experts on the subject, and who will provide a commentary.

There are times when a rock is tumbled over the years and may strike another rock resulting in a flake or two being made. This may appear to be a worked object, but the chips must show a pattern indicating being worked by man, not by accident.

As you make finds in the future, you will begin to recognize what you have.

I find that I gain knowledge most-every time I open a post featuring artifacts.

Now that was a very true and helpful statement. I agree every year I look at things differently and bring less rocks home.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The area I hunt for the most part square isnt natural on the rocks. Every square is usually a pounder or grinder of some kind. I got all happy yesterday when I saw a cubed shaped rock about baseball sized and picked it up. There was no use wear on it no shaping by human hands. I left it disappointed cause I knew it was natural.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry krbrid, I have to agree with those who say it is a natural rock and that it does not look like it was worked by humans. Stay tuned to this forum and you will get a pretty good education on true artifacts as many are posted here and styles and eras of the objects are often identifiable. Most native worked tools show a very high level of skill in shaping and forming said tools and will be very symmetrical with well defined edges and well finished sides. Remember, these people came here from other lands and they were already experienced stone workers before they even came to our land.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread