Virginia Woodland Pot

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the late 1980's, I spent several months digging over 50 trash pits in a woodland camp in a corn field. The field had been dug by " professionals" in the late 60's and was dated as an 1100 AD site. I think that all that they dug were graves. The owners of the field plowed it very deep each year and the first time that I walked it you could see black circles with pottery shards, bones, periwinkle shells and charcoal over 4 feet across where the plow had cut the tops off of the pits and flipped them over to be on top. One pit that I dug had three crushed pots piled in on top of each other. There were even carbonized corn kernels in one of the pots. All of the pottery shards from that pit came home and were scattered all over the kitchen table. We would put a few pieces together and walk away, come back later and ad another shard or two. After a couple of months, we had the remains of three pots. The plow had carried away large portions of each pot but what was left was still pretty cool. Here is some pictures of the one pot that is not packed away. Enjoy.

Attachments

• IMG_3315.JPG
    IMG_3315.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_3316.JPG
    IMG_3316.JPG
    364.5 KB · Views: 106
Upvote 0

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is really interesting and a great find & thank you for sharing the pictures.

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peaches, What part of NC are you in. I'm just west of Martinsville VA. We have a pretty nice collection. If you are ever up this way, you are welcome to come check it out. My wife and I spent 30 + hours a week relic hunting back in the 1980s-90s in the off season. I worked December to April down south planting pine trees for 5 years and was hunting while I worked then.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Peaches, I'm sure I've not seen all of Steve's Native American treasure trove, but what he's shown me is astounding. Sometimes he gives presentations at events where the kids AND the adults marvel at his knowledge and treasures. It's the real deal.

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep, I hope you are staying warm. When it gets a little nicer out, I'll take you to the field that I found this in and maybe you can ad some relics to your collection.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a really cool find, I also have some pots in a bag as I call them, that also came out of fire pits. I just have not taken the time to sit down and put them all together.:thumbsup:

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peaches, What part of NC are you in. I'm just west of Martinsville VA. We have a pretty nice collection. If you are ever up this way, you are welcome to come check it out. My wife and I spent 30 + hours a week relic hunting back in the 1980s-90s in the off season. I worked December to April down south planting pine trees for 5 years and was hunting while I worked then.

I'm in Burke County. If I take I 40 East it is about 144 miles to Martinsville. Maybe some time me and the boys take a road trip we can head that way, I'll let you know. The last time we went to Hillsville for the annual gun show and flea market was about 10 yrs ago and love Virginia, it's a beautiful State.

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peaches, I'm about 45 minutes from Hillsville. Definitely bring your boys for a visit. I'm sure that I can fix the up with some Virginia Relics for their collections. I have 5allon buckets full of pottery shards and broke points and lots of fossils and rocks. Come on By!

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peaches, I'm about 45 minutes from Hillsville. Definitely bring your boys for a visit. I'm sure that I can fix the up with some Virginia Relics for their collections. I have 5 gallon buckets full of pottery shards and broke points and lots of fossils and rocks. Come on By!

fieldsjoe89

Dec 27, 2014
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500,White's VX3, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Burke County. If I take I 40 East it is about 144 miles to Martinsville. Maybe some time me and the boys take a road trip we can head that way, I'll let you know. The last time we went to Hillsville for the annual gun show and flea market was about 10 yrs ago and love Virginia, it's a beautiful State.[/QUO

NCPeaches,

Your not too far from my hometown/area. I'm from Lebanon, Virginia. It's about 30 minutes north of Bristol VA/TN. I was in your area when I was younger, we went to Gem Mountain and I believe Emerald Village looking for gem stones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread