copper spear point

rac7658

Oct 24, 2015
near lacrosse west central wi
Detector(s) used
at pro,ace 250,at propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i found this in my yard with a detector a couple of months ago IMG_1276.JPG IMG_1277.JPG

Upvote 0

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HELLAVA find!!!!! I'd dig EVERY signal in your yard.. Shame you didn't post it earlier because that is DEF a banner find!!! CONGRATZ... btw what state is your yard in?

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not think it is all that old. I don't think the Native Americans would have put an anchor hole in it. jmo!

Dakota Sioux

Nov 11, 2015
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT- Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you blow it up I see two rows of marks going down it spaced 1 cm apart. Could this be some kind of measured trowel?

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Possibly some king of old copper fence top. Sometimes iron fences had copper/brass finishers on top o think. I have no idea just a possible guess! [emoji106]
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455294826.273002.jpg

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also was thinking maybe a trowel of some kind .... I wonder if the neck used to have more of an angle on it for a handle but may have been flattened over time...... Something like this ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455295267.131600.jpg

Last edited:

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By all indications from your photos, I believe you do indeed have a "socketed" spear point and a VERY nice one at that.
As far as it being "holed", I have seen similar examples.

Under your TNet screen name, I assume that you live near LaCrosse, WI (?) which would put you in an area where you are likely find copper culture items such as yours.
If it's not too late, please do not clean it, I would leave it as is.

Again, GREAT find!

Check out:
copperculture.homestead.com

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter/Sharp Shooter
Not that I'm an expert but it looks like the real deal to me. Congratulation! By the way I'm in the Black River Falls area.

Sidevalve45

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool find,I think it is a copper spearhead. Native Americans did use anchor holes. His avitar says Lacross, if that's La cross in Wisconsin, that area is known for copper culture artifacts just like this one. I could be wrong..

tp.gif

OP
OP
R

rac7658

Oct 24, 2015
near lacrosse west central wi
Detector(s) used
at pro,ace 250,at propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes it is wisconsin and near the mississippi and black rivers. since i found it i have contacted the owner of the the copperculture website and he verified it and made an offer to purchase it, i also contacted the head of the archaeology department at uw-lacrosse who put me in touch with their most knowledgeable person on copper artifacts and she verified it also. no i have not cleaned it anymore than the picture shows, which was to run some water on it to remove the sand. thanks for the interest. i have other stone artifacts i have found walking fields over the years but this is the only copper item i have ever seen. i had gotten the metal detector about 2 weeks prior and was working around in the yard with it. i had found a coin spill in one area, 8-10 pennies, a few dimes and nickles and was working my way a few feet up a slight slope in the yard. i got a solid hit and used the pinpoint feature on the detector. it seemed either good sized or several coins close together. i wasn't exactly sure what i had other than it was copper by the patina and one area of edge that my trowel must have rubbed against, but within a few minutes of thinking about and looking closer i headed for the house and started searching the internet. i never thought i would find such an amazing item.
as for the graduation marks, that kind of threw me also but if you look close they are not exact in there spacing and close to the point they go from a double row to a single row in the center. i can only assume it is decoration or depth penetration marks

Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's an Old Copper Culture socketed spear. At the top of the page at this link, you can see an example with a hole at the base for insertion of a pin. And there are further examples on this page. Socketed spears with such holes exist. Old Copper Culture.

moreartifacts

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
yes it is wisconsin and near the mississippi and black rivers. since i found it i have contacted the owner of the the copperculture website and he verified it and made an offer to purchase it, i also contacted the head of the archaeology department at uw-lacrosse who put me in touch with their most knowledgeable person on copper artifacts and she verified it also. no i have not cleaned it anymore than the picture shows, which was to run some water on it to remove the sand. thanks for the interest. i have other stone artifacts i have found walking fields over the years but this is the only copper item i have ever seen. i had gotten the metal detector about 2 weeks prior and was working around in the yard with it. i had found a coin spill in one area, 8-10 pennies, a few dimes and nickles and was working my way a few feet up a slight slope in the yard. i got a solid hit and used the pinpoint feature on the detector. it seemed either good sized or several coins close together. i wasn't exactly sure what i had other than it was copper by the patina and one area of edge that my trowel must have rubbed against, but within a few minutes of thinking about and looking closer i headed for the house and started searching the internet. i never thought i would find such an amazing item.
as for the graduation marks, that kind of threw me also but if you look close they are not exact in there spacing and close to the point they go from a double row to a single row in the center. i can only assume it is decoration or depth penetration marks

Very cool!

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rac7658, when other members mentioned the inscribed dashes on your point, I adjusted the contrast on your photo so they could be seen more clearly (hope you don't mind).

Now that I see the inscribed "dashes", your point is MORE than incredible. If possible, I would love to see (I'm sure others would too) a better photo under controled lighting conditions.
Also, when you mentioned you received a purchase offer for this piece, I would recommend taking a deep breath and letting some time pass before you decide. . . (just my opinion)

CCSP-1277.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread