398.3 KB · Views: 118
Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
It IS!!!.......The only thing that pertained to artifacts out of all those rocks pictured in the other thread you started. Something the natives took usable flakes off of.

Didn't they tell you what it was when you showed it to the University?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It isn't a drill, it is a piece of flint core, pieces are knocked off of it to make tools with...

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to disagree on the drill ID, it shows no signs of use. I believe l it was stated before, that it is debri from flint knapping.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a piece that has reduction flakes by man. They often tested material and reduced it down to make tools. Sometimes the reduction flake could become a tool or sharp knife. The flake was used for a quick purpose and discarded.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would have to disagree on the drill ID, it shows no signs of use. I believe l it was stated before, that it is debri from flint knapping.

see that "ripple" along the left edge?...is that common when you are making points?...or does it usually flake to a smooth sharp edge with the first strike?

OP
OP
cmenokla

cmenokla

Dec 21, 2015
SE Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to answer your question 1320, YES I did. I think, it is funny I decided to use this one. I could have chosen another... :)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please don't post multiple threads in different forums on the same topic....

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Seriously?? You of all people should know better. Not even close to a drill. More than likely not even an artifact. It may be a Spall, but even that is questionable.

I think his answer was an inside joke grim. looks like this poster tried to pass it off as one elsewhere.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see nothing about the piece that shows any alteration by human hands. The brighter color of the left hand removed flake area tells me that it is a new break. The shape of the right hand removed flake area is not consistent with percussion flaking.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Certainly workable material, quite possibly was utilized. Keep looking, don't get discouraged. Nobody here is trying to insult you or your finds, but rather to inform.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id like to see both sides on it, the side in your hand would be nice. Multiple pics are very necessary when trying to get a serious I.D. on a piece. Without more pics a person would wonder what is up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions