Mystery Shell Piece

jbnick

Feb 3, 2013
Bloomington, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites 300 DFX
Found this piece of shell wet sifting in a central Illinois stream a while back. I posted it in the "What is it" section and was never able to get it solved. Thinking it could possibly be what is left over from making some shell buttons?Any help identifying it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jbnick
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455399588.851164.jpg

Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Well then maybe it's a cool coincidence. It sure has a nice form, pretty dang symmetric as well.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does look just like a Cruciform, but as far as I know they are only found in the southwest and mostly New Mexico. I got this one as a gift in my Secret Santa I run two Christmas's ago. I have never seen or heard of one coming from the midwest, but anything is possible.

I actually think he answered his own question though. That looks like a piece of a Mussell Shell that has had multiple Buttons drilled out of it and then eroded to that shape. If you look at the Shell that has had all of the Buttons drilled out of it you can see that if it broke up and eroded just right could easily come up with a piece like that.

Attachments

• NM Gifts (20).jpg
    NM Gifts (20).jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 80
  • NM Gifts (22).jpg
    NM Gifts (22).jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 2011+June+trip-Muscatine%252C+IA++%252843%2529.JPG
    2011+June+trip-Muscatine%252C+IA++%252843%2529.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 90

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
That sure sounds like a possibility.

Fir sure, it's another one of those mysteries that we often run into in this hobby. It sure helps keep it interesting.

OP
OP
jbnick

jbnick

Feb 3, 2013
Bloomington, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites 300 DFX
Interesting! I have never heard of a cruciform before. What exactly is their significance or use thought to be? The creek is quite small and has very likely never had mollusks large enough to make buttons from so even then it is material that was brought in and worked nearby. I did find a picture of one that is thought to be a shell cruciform (picture from a different site).

Is there any way to tell or will this just be one of this sites great mysteries?
Thanks for the input!
Jbnick
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1455415050.890348.jpg

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take it to a local show first chance you get and let experienced collectors looks at it. Don't take it to a museum or college though. You will get better answers at a show. That last picture is very interesting. It sure looks like it was made that way on purpose. The ends are to precise in my mind to have happened by accident. Very cool piece for sure.

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take it to a local show first chance you get and let experienced collectors looks at it. Don't take it to a museum or college though. You will get better answers at a show. That last picture is very interesting. It sure looks like it was made that way on purpose. The ends are to precise in my mind to have happened by accident. Very cool piece for sure.
thats what i was thinking

dougachim

Jan 30, 2013
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting! I have never heard of a cruciform before. What exactly is their significance or use thought to be? The creek is quite small and has very likely never had mollusks large enough to make buttons from so even then it is material that was brought in and worked nearby. I did find a picture of one that is thought to be a shell cruciform (picture from a different site).

Is there any way to tell or will this just be one of this sites great mysteries?
Thanks for the input!
Jbnick
View attachment 1272609
Where did that one come from ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread