Serious question for the "experts"

TheTh3rd

Jun 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why is everyone SO quick to call a possible stone tool artifact "geofacts,natural, river Rock or just weathered stone?" No matter if it fits the description identically everyone will say it's not made by Native Americans simply because you don't find flint or arrowheads. But post that same stone tool with pictures of flakes or points and everyone will say it's man made.

That's like finding an empty McDonald's Big Mac box and saying it's not from McDonald's because the Big Mac wasn't in there.

I know this is true because I've posted pics of "possible artifacts/flakes/worked stone" and was told it's just "naturally chipped"..then I finally found an arrowhead and posted it with a pic of the same "naturally chipped rock" and y'all identified it as a scraper.

With that said please tell me this is a naturally formed stone.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TheTh3rd

Jun 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate all the replies and I'm not taking anything personal so no worries. I'm learning.

These rocks have been very deep and haven't moved for who knows how long. So to me these look like artifacts. Take it easy on me but my first thought of one on the right was an axe (shape) until I used my finger nail to remove the dirt from the grooves....now I'm thinking sharpening tool??? And the other 2 Hammer or grinding stones?.....polished grips and areas worn from use??
View attachment 1287532
View attachment 1287533
View attachment 1287534

Here are the worn rough part on the 2 on the left. And more pics of the one on the right
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just natural rocks...

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The two in the 3rd photo down look to have been used to hit on something, you can see the pecking pattern on the end. From the photos I say they are artifacts, I have never seen nature make that type of marks. Now the large item, it does look like a natural rock but I would have to have it in my hand to say for sure.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There appears to be something on it. There is a figure on the one up from the bottom. It looks like a wizard. There also looks like the omega symbol and the wing. My opinion of course.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

ShieldJaguar

Aug 9, 2009
KC, MO
For me, could they be artifacts? Yes. They could be. Would they be good artifacts? Not really. For me, a really good, quality artifact will be one that you can frame and don't have to try to explain to someone that it looks like it was used by man, possibly. With that said, I have a bucket or 2 of the latter. As I have learned more over the years I revisit those buckets and toss out the ones that I can now say aren't anything and occasionally find one that I can confirm as an artifact. That's how we all have learned in this hobby. When I first started hunting I was hunting limestone creeks. The stuff I would bring home makes me cringe now. But carrying home a backpack full of rocks is how I learned what not to pick up. After a summer of training my eyes I was able to discern worked vs natural with much more ease. In general, if something looks worked and you can fit it in your hand - you have to try left and right as they made tools for both, I will take it home to clean up and examine further.

You have some flakes and possible scrapers. The rest would go in my bucket. Keep looking. You'll find some "keepers".

Last edited:

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see where your coming from with certain rocks. There is some wear on the rounder stones and the axe head/ sharpening tool looks to be grooved in certain areas. Whether this was done intentionally by Native Americans is almost impossible to prove. I personally think they are natural stones. But I'm not there to break out the Sherlock Holmes gear!
I think that if you feel strongly about certain pieces keep them for a while and go back after you've been hunting and researching some more. Then, when you find some definitive pieces you can go over your previous finds and make a better judgement call. You could of been right and that would be great! I've spent thousands of hours hunting everything under the sun so be patient an just enjoy the hunt!! Good luck!
Also, what state are you from?

mwb76

Nov 20, 2011
chester county pa
Detector(s) used
whites xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I find objects like these I take a look around as I am hunting and see if they fit in I have a site on the family farm where me and other family members have found Similar stones and we classify them as artifacts because someone had to bring them there for something the nearest site they could have come from is a few miles away most not a top notch find but still a clue to what maybe there keep your eyes to the ground and good luck

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing to keep in mind, stone tools are extremely hard to find.

I have surface hunted for over 40 years, and have a sizable collection of flint artifacts, but the nice stone tools I have found are perhaps 5% or less of my total collection.

You have to roll a lot of rocks before you find a tool. By far the most common stone tool is a hammer stone, easily identified by small pecked depressions on opposing sides, and normally wear on the striking surface from smashing bones for marrow, nuts etc. Usually fist sized and spherical.

All identifiable tools have some features, a bit, poll, peck marks etc.

The rock you show could have been used for something, but without obvious signs of alterations or use, it's not really an artifact,imo.

No offense, but go into any creek, and you can find hundreds of rocks similar to the one pictured.

Not trying to discourage you, but be patient, enjoy the search, and when you find a stone artifact, you will have no doubts.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
most rocks that are artifacts are going to have an obvious use...they won't be a "this groove looks man-made, but this rock has no purpose"...if that helps at all.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen the experts chime in, only to have people tell them they don't know what they're talking about, then the experts get a little more pointed and direct with their responses, and they get called rude. The experts seem to back off from then on, and let people think a cracked rock they found is an artifact from Martian invaders for all they care. If there's a question, you really can't a make a final ID based on just a pic. You can say, yeah that's a finely flaked knife, but this is just an ambiguous strange rock for all we know. You get on the site, and there really are clues to look for that can back up your belief that a strangely shaped rock really could have been a used tool.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It belongs in the treasure signs and symbols. It's not a tool for working. It's a tool used for looking.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

TheTh3rd

Jun 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate all the knowledge and replies shared! One thing I need to make clear is that I'm nowhere near a creek bed or river.

most rocks that are artifacts are going to have an obvious use...they won't be a "this groove looks man-made, but this rock has no purpose"...if that helps at all.

Here are 2 with grooves and in my mind signs of "use".... The ones on the right look like they were "used" for something maybe game stones.

I feel stupid if they aren't but to me the 2 on the left look like obvious tools.

View attachment 1288878

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    444.6 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    574.4 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    691.5 KB · Views: 93
OP
OP
T

TheTh3rd

Jun 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one on the top is "grooved" on the top and bottom.

Here are the ones I the right.... Game stones maybe.
image.jpg

The dark one on the top left has 3 "polished" sides

This one is odd.

image.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

choo

Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to see a pic of the pestle cleaned up & take a pic of both ends!

OP
OP
T

TheTh3rd

Jun 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to see a pic of the pestle cleaned up & take a pic of both ends!

I will take better pics as soon as I get home. Sorry I don't have it with me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread