Just a flake (I think)

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings everyone. I hope you are all doing well. I got permission today to hunt a new field, though just was able to get permission for today. It was sure nice to get out. After going over some maps and county records I found a field that looked to be in a promising location. It has a creek going through it that empties into the cannon river right on the other side of the road. I stopped by and asked if it were okay for me to search the field for artifacts and rocks and they said that was fine. They also mentioned that there used to be a camp right up a nearby hill which seems very plausible. I spent around 3 hours walking the field. The only really curious piece I found was this flake. After I looked at it and realized it seemed like it has some work on it I looked around to make a mental note of where I was in the field just in time to see 2 bald eagles fighting. I wonder what else I missed staring at the ground the whole time. :) The best find I made today was not an artifact, but once again I came out of an artifact search with a really nice agate (I'll add that to the rock forum once I'm done with my usual mineral oil treatment).

So here is that piece. I would guess at the very least it is a flake. It has some pretty nice sharpening along 2 edges that lead to a bit of a nice point shape so I am curious if it isn't something more. I would appreciate any opinions, comments, or even just a howdy. One of these days hopefully I will have something better to share. At the very least I think I am on the right track.

CRFieldFlake-2016-03-20-Img_0678SSS.jpg

CRFieldFlake-2016-03-20-Img_0679SSS.jpg
(the red one I lean toward natural but it was curious so it ended up in a few of my shots)

CRFieldFlake-2016-03-20-Img_0680SSS.jpg

CRFieldFlake-2016-03-20-Img_0681SSS.jpg

CRFieldFlake-2016-03-20-Img_0683SSS.jpg

Thanks for looking and happy hunting,
Eric

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be a scraper, nice material on it.

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be a scraper, nice material on it.
Thanks Rock. There is a lot of nice material around here, at least in terms of color and occasionally of good size. You should see my house, rocks everywhere.

I could see it being a scraper. Curious how it seems to have fine sharpening along 2 sides of it, one side being concave and one edge more flat and more like a typical scraper edge. Of course, take what I say for what it's worth I am still relatively new to this. Don't get me wrong, I would be thrilled if I can call this a scraper or any tool for that matter. :)

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, that flaking on the top edge in the fourth picture looks like it was used as a small scraper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread