Attachments

• point 002.jpg
    point 002.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 509
Upvote 0

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
It is a Pinetree and a very nice one at that. Thanks for the look.

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
Hill Billy said:
I need some help with this one.Two friends have two different opinions.What do you guys and gals think it is ?It was found in Ky. Thanks HB
Looks like a ST. Charles or a dovetail ,possibly carter county flint,. Whatever it is ,I mean that is one nice find. Ohio River hunter

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2005
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spec. XLT..... My Eyes
ohioriver hunter said:
Hill Billy said:
I need some help with this one.Two friends have two different opinions.What do you guys and gals think it is ?It was found in Ky. Thanks HB
Looks like a ST. Charles or a dovetail ,possibly carter county flint,. Whatever it is ,I mean that is one nice find. Ohio River hunter

agreed.

xstevenx

OP
OP
Hill Billy

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
St Charles and Thebes were my friends guesses.I'm gonna go with the St. Charles.JMO It's 4 1/4" long.

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
That's a Lyon County point, and about as classic example as you could find. They are named for examples found in Western Kentucky.

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Here ya go Hill Billy, here's an image of the Lyon County. They are a lesser known point type and are often confused with other types.

Matt

Attachments

• lyonco.jpg
    lyonco.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 388
OP
OP
Hill Billy

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Matt, I have been wondering about this point for a while now.It does look like a dovetail but your picture looks more like it than any pics i have seen.Even the flaking looks right.It was found in Owensboro, Ky.
HB

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
This is one of those cases where that point could be identified and labeled at least a half dozen ways or given a half dozen different names, all solely dependant upon what part of the country you are from. This is precisely why I argue the case that it is more important to realize an artifacts use and approximate age rather than try to give it a name. Now if you go look all these names up that people were putting out there like the pinetree, dovetail, lost lake, etc (couldn't find any quick and easy reference on the net about the Lyon co. type) you see they all have one thing is common, early archaic.

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2005
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spec. XLT..... My Eyes
Cannonman17 said:
This is one of those cases where that point could be identified and labeled at least a half dozen ways or given a half dozen different names, all solely dependant upon what part of the country you are from. This is precisely why I argue the case that it is more important to realize an artifacts use and approximate age rather than try to give it a name. Now if you go look all these names up that people were putting out there like the pinetree, dovetail, lost lake, etc (couldn't find any quick and easy reference on the net about the Lyon co. type) you see they all have one thing is common, early archaic.

Well put.

xstevenx

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
In most cases, I would agree with you. However, in this instance..it is an identifiable form. Lyon County may share a relationship with Pinetree (A.K.A. Charleston) in that they have been called "indented or notched base pinetree"... and are most likely of the HUGE Kirk family. Dovetail and Lost Lake are a totally different critter with completely different manufacturing techniques. They employ the earliest punch nothing techniques for instance. Well, SOME dove do. Alot of the "St. Charles" don't, which leads some to question relationships there also.

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
Matt R said:
In most cases, I would agree with you. However, in this instance..it is an identifiable form. Lyon County may share a relationship with Pinetree (A.K.A. Charleston) in that they have been called "indented or notched base pinetree"... and are most likely of the HUGE Kirk family. Dovetail and Lost Lake are a totally different critter with completely different manufacturing techniques. They employ the earliest punch nothing techniques for instance. Well, SOME dove do. Alot of the "St. Charles" don't, which leads some to question relationships there also.
Well I would still say St. Charles or dovetail . I,VE never heard of a lyons but that is part of reason I,m on here is to learn more. I usually don,t post my opinions on points from other parts of country cause I know very little about them but I,m learning . thanks for sharing that information there are so many types and variations of points even the biggest experts get it wrong sometimes. Jeff

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Typology is a very fickle thing. Alot of the information in typology books today is very incorrect..or has changed. Even some of the later publications (like perino 3..which is one that contains information about a Lyon County). It takes great devotion and a helluva reference database to try to even remotely get a grip on the most basic of typology.

Jeff, you state "St. Charles or Dovetail". The St. Charles were the first to be named the "dovetail". However, there could be a distinct difference between the true St. Charles and what some consider a true Dovetail. One main thing is that St. Charles aren't always punch notched. Some have much wider notches that are just straight pressure. They also can be, and often are, made with a much flatter cross section than what most consider "Early Archaic Dovetail" - which have a lenticular cross section (like Scottsbluff). I'm sure that time will show that the "St. Charles" is most likely a later form than the 'thick, lenticular, punch notched doves' (Like Ohio Button Base). Here's an interesting side note. Greg Perino once shocked me with a statement he made....he told me that it wouldn't surprise him if the Ohio Button Based Doves weren't a Woodland piece? I questioned him about that statement and don't concur with it at all - primarily due to manufacturing techniques. However, there aren't real definitive dates for them yet and ..who knows. I often disagree with his and others assessments in typology and other realms, from personal experiences and experiments. Sharing of information is how we all learn though.

The earliest Doves appear to be thicker, lenticular and share blade manufacturing techniques with early Hardin and even Scottsbluff. In fact, take just a broken blade from an early dove, early Hardin or a scottsbluff..and let's see you tell them apart. Good luck. The earliest Hardin also didn't bevel..you simply cannot tell them apart from Scottsbluff. In another conversation with Perino, he mentioned to me that Hardin have been found on sites in southern Illinois, that date older than Scottsbluff. It appears that Hardin is an eastern tradition, while Scottsbluff (cody) are the plains counterpart. Compare the dates, the technology. Again, this is diffusion at work. Now, as the Hardin progressed they started a trend of started to get more flat, not quite as lenticular and beveling during the resharpening process became a staple - Just like the St. Charles. Do you see a pattern here?

Sorry, didn't mean to start rambling..uggh, I'll stop now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread