Missouri drill

salvageon

Oct 17, 2013
Roundup, MT
Detector(s) used
Old White.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20160416_120907.jpg Went to see the grand kids in Lowry City Missouri and while there went arrowhead hunting on the father-in-laws property where my son found his first artifact. Nice piece of a drill. Couldn't find the other half but I'm sure he will be back. Don't know what age maybe someone can tell from the pic. I have closeups but can't download them yet. Try again tomorrow.

Upvote 0

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find even though it's broken and nice color and workmanship to boot! As you probably already know it's hard to find one with the bit end intact. Your son did good, congrats!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beauty! :thumbsup:Sounds like a promising area.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id like to see the base even though you say its broken. Real nice color on it.

OP
OP
salvageon

salvageon

Oct 17, 2013
Roundup, MT
Detector(s) used
Old White.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20160416_122400-1.jpg This is the only closeup I have. I didn't get a shot of the broken end. Hope this helps.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Salvageon, that is a great find and was probably salvaged from a larger broken point and was never meant to be any bigger.
The lower part is the drill with the top flat half being something nice to fit the fingers. I believe it is complete and a finished artifact.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Being made from a salvaged point makes the dating problematical. Points are diagnostic to their base and yours is missing so it could be anytime from the Archaic to the Historic Period.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK thanks. Do you have an idea of age?

The work is beautiful the material looks like it knapped like butter. Those drills were usually made from and arrowhead when the tip broke or it was sharpened beyond use. They would use the good ones like yours and sharpen it down into a drill and use it till it was gone. It was a type of arrowhead at one time but with the base gone hard to give an age unless someone dares to date the style of flaking. These tools were used and made by every culture so a time stamp would be tough unless you found other artifacts all from the same time zone....??? Hope this helps a little.
Tell you son congratulations.

OP
OP
salvageon

salvageon

Oct 17, 2013
Roundup, MT
Detector(s) used
Old White.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the input. It is an awesome find and I'm sure there is more there. The site is creek bottom and I would bet a village was near by. Can't wait to go back after all it's where my grand kids are.

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the input. It is an awesome find and I'm sure there is more there. The site is creek bottom and I would bet a village was near by. Can't wait to go back after all it's where my grand kids are.
If you're looking for the village/campsite, look for a bluff overlooking the creek. They camped on high ground so as to prevent flooding. GL.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

OP
OP
salvageon

salvageon

Oct 17, 2013
Roundup, MT
Detector(s) used
Old White.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obviously smarter than modern residents. Just kidding, sort of.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The material on your drill looks very much like the yellow jasper that I have found here in Montana. It sure is a pretty material, and always love finding it.

OP
OP
salvageon

salvageon

Oct 17, 2013
Roundup, MT
Detector(s) used
Old White.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it found naturally or were they trade points?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very attractive material! By the flaking to me it looks like a Archaic before made into a drill but as others have said it could of been reworked in later times to the piece you have now. Very frame worthy piece. Glad it is a whole piece after all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread