monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really went fossil hunting but I did find some artifacts and fossils. I found all that you see in the screen in a short 100 yard drain. Never let the size of a drain or creek stop you from looking. Rodney hunt 4-23-16 046.JPG Rodney hunt 4-23-16 012.JPG I found 1 point and 4 pieces of pottery up this little drain that was only 15 yards long and not deep at all. Rodney hunt 4-23-16 021.JPG This last photo is the drain I have been hunting and have found the best fossil finds of my life. Has I said never let the size of any creek/drain stop you from looking in them.

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like some good fun with some bonuses

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your drain is draining a camp, I see some pottery.

That is just a small amount of pottery for me. It's not a camp it the occupation of NA for 10,000 yrs. In my area you can find pottery in any creek or drain. The creek that this drain goes into, a person can pick up 10lbs of pottery in 1 day of walking. This is in the bluffs of the Ms. river which if you look after a rain in a food plot, creek and after logging you can get your fill of pottery. There is no one place that it is coming from it's every where.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that was a great days score. :thumbsup: Don't forget to check those bones for tool marks, or where a point may have been impacted. It would be fantastic if you found a bone with a point still attached.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Wow! I wish I had such an enriched area, culture after culture exploited the same resources. I guess you never know what you`ll find. In my area pottery is only abundant on specific sites where those cultures produced it.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck of a good walk M.R.. I never have found many fossils at all, would like to get into it one day. Not a wide drain, but looks deep. Can tell it was probably cut in thousands of years ago. See some killer points in the back of the sifter. very nice hunt.

OP
OP
monsterrack

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck of a good walk M.R.. I never have found many fossils at all, would like to get into it one day. Not a wide drain, but looks deep. Can tell it was probably cut in thousands of years ago. See some killer points in the back of the sifter. very nice hunt.

Where I live we have a layer of loess soil that was blown in after the last ice age. It may range from 15ft deep to 150ft deep and it will not stay in place. Just a small amount of water and it starts to move by washing away. This drain is over 100ft down from the top of the ridge. Here is a photo of just the layers of the old creek bed. Rodney hunt 4-23-16 017.JPG the stick is sitting on the grey clay layer which was the layer that the ice age was on and you can see the layers of iron concretions go much higher.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions