old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your second item looks like natural weathering to me. Just my opinion from what I see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the tan one I was told it was probably a spall something they flaked off to use later for making a point or tool. It is a big flake I do know that. 1st spall for me Thanks for the replies

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
On the tan one I was told it was probably a spall something they flaked off to use later for making a point or tool. It is a big flake I do know that. 1st spall for me Thanks for the replies

Flake, Spall, same thing.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flake, Spall, same thing.

Not really. A Flake by definition isn't really and artifact, it's just waste material. A Spall however is an artifact and in fact is what the flakes are driven off off for possible use. You can clearly see where large flakes were driven off of that large Spall and you can see it's been in the creek for quite some time.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Not really. A Flake by definition isn't really and artifact, it's just waste material. A Spall however is an artifact and in fact is what the flakes are driven off off for possible use. You can clearly see where large flakes were driven off of that large Spall and you can see it's been in the creek for quite some time.

well grim, I've been a self employed concrete contractor for 30 years, and when the thin layer of cement on the surface flakes off for one reason or another, it's called spalling. So in my industry, it is pretty much is the same. Thanks for your explanation, in essence it sounds to me like a spall is just a flake big enough to take more flakes off.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I said flake so yea that was close but not totally true as Grim has pointed out (which I thank you) it shows large scallop flakes removed and is creek worn with patina after the removal of them. The way it was explained to me was it is a spall like a blank and the edges arent chipped it be used as is but rather to remove all of the sharp pieces to carry it back to camp to make something later like a big Adena point or blade. He said it was one of the last steps before making the final artifact. He also said it was Chert. It is the 1st true spall I have found that I know of. My friend some of you know, Thanks Gatorboy for your knowledge! He is still out there but just not on this site.

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see your still out doing what you enjoy Rock.
Some nice finds recently.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
good find. Find a flint knapper in your area and have him make you a point out of that tan rock.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good find. Find a flint knapper in your area and have him make you a point out of that tan rock.

Nah I will save it for my case to display it at a show. It looked just like a hand tool of sorts so it would make a good learning with example for somebody else just like it did for me.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see your still out doing what you enjoy Rock.
Some nice finds recently.

Thanks for visiting good to see you back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread