See examples of real artifacts, for now!

TheTh3rd

Jun 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not bad fora 20 min hunt. Found today after work. I'm in a strange but awesome spot.

image.jpg

First time finding this material, not sure if they are even stone... The last one looks like chard wood and the first one is VERY strange..bone maybe???..

image.jpg

Those lines remind me of ivory

image.jpg

Some possible bone and Straight edges

image.jpg

I also found near 20 more tools and some brokes.... But they are probably natural

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TheTh3rd

Jun 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg

No clue about this one....picked it up bc of the colors, didn't notice the holes until I got back. It also has an edge and are the little holes natural? I'm not saying this is man made but is that what a pressure flake would look like? Maybe from the tip of a bone or antler? Honest question.

image.jpg

OP
OP
T

TheTh3rd

Jun 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Strange? Cut marks? Tiny finger axe?
image.jpg

reuellis

Jul 25, 2014
Abandoned Teays River Valley, WV
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"While some may consider them an artifact, this isn't the forum for them...There is no proof man has ever touched them so not right for this forum......."

Are you referring to the original poster's pieces or debitage in general?

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1305610

No clue about this one....picked it up bc of the colors, didn't notice the holes until I got back. It also has an edge and are the little holes natural? I'm not saying this is man made but is that what a pressure flake would look like? Maybe from the tip of a bone or antler? Honest question.

View attachment 1305611

The "holes" you are talking about are formed by heat. We call them fire pops. An air pocket in the material will heat up in a fire and pop off pieces leaving those marks.

This my best example of a fire popped Point. This is a Frio Point that has been in a fire or near some extreme heat and it popped two spots out of it.

Attachments

• tex (11).jpg
    tex (11).jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 99
OP
OP
T

TheTh3rd

Jun 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "holes" you are talking about are formed by heat. We call them fire pops. An air pocket in the material will heat up in a fire and pop off pieces leaving those marks.

This my best example of a fire popped Point. This is a Frio Point that has been in a fire or near some extreme heat and it popped two spots out of it.

Wow that is interesting. That point is awesome. Would it be knapped before or after the fire pops?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The red stone looks like a piece of polished pipe stone. Can we see a better pic of it? Im wondering if you have me on ignore list? I have already posted you are in the rite spot you just need to learn the difference between wholes and broken pieces. The point/ tool even though displays damage to me is a keeper. If it is a middle section I usually dont keep them but a nice tip or base is frame worthy.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also the last grey one looks to be a drill cant tell if it is whole or just the tip lets see it in hand.

OP
OP
T

TheTh3rd

Jun 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also the last grey one looks to be a drill cant tell if it is whole or just the tip lets see it in hand.

I'm at work. I'll get better pics later.

I don't have you on ignore list, I enjoy your knowledge.

Here are some strange flaked/pecked and polished ones

View attachment 1305784
image.jpg

The black square is magnetic.... No clue what the round thin one is.

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The piece sitting on the quarter is a drill point. Looks like part of the base got broken off, but still a nice point.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
The better pictures sure help a person make a more accurate determination. I was wondering if you were just taking crappy pictures to set some folks up.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the last pic looks to be natural pieces. We do have lead here so if it reads metal just be careful and wash your hands after handling it. The NA did carve the lead to but didnt know it was a bad thing. Keep your eyes peeled while in that field. I have a piece like one of yours with the flat cutting edge but mine is a Spokeshave on the left which can look broken in my pic but is a whole tool. Woodland period item which Im sure yours is to. I will get a pic for you.

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Two of the darker pieces look like P-Wood. One of the square pieces could be an abrader like for knapping arrow heads. It looks like scraping marks across the middle but unless it can be seen first hand it is hard to tell. I have a couple of square pieces of stone like that and they are abraders as you can see the scraping marks across the face of the stone. Save everything and when you get to collecting for awhile then you can compare your finds and that will help you tell the difference.

Good job.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two of the darker pieces look like P-Wood. One of the square pieces could be an abrader like for knapping arrow heads. It looks like scraping marks across the middle but unless it can be seen first hand it is hard to tell. I have a couple of square pieces of stone like that and they are abraders as you can see the scraping marks across the face of the stone. Save everything and when you get to collecting for awhile then you can compare your finds and that will help you tell the difference.

Good job.

True I forgot about those seeing I havent found any or at least havent known to look to hard.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the Spokeshave tool notice the right side how it is flat and then the left side is the shave section. Its in the middle didnt bother taking it out of the frame.

Attachments

• SDC11387.JPG
    SDC11387.JPG
    647.2 KB · Views: 60

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread