Some Indiana paleo

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I busted out a couple of paleo points to take pictures for a different forum, and thought I'd put the pictures here as well. Neither are personal finds, but I can't resist old broken paleos from my home state.

This first piece is the tip of what would have been a huge fluted point. Not Clovis, probably something between a Cumberland & a Barnes point. (If there were a magic machine that could restore broken pieces to their ancient glory, this piece would be the one I put in first.)

IndianaFluted.jpg

This second piece is one of only two Folsom artifacts documented from Indiana, the other one came from the same county. I got this in a bucket of broken points at a farm auction when I was a kid (rode my bike there, rode home with a heavy bucket hanging on one side of the handle bars.)

IndianaUltrathin.jpg

Here is the other one that has been published.

An Indiana Folsom Point

Upvote 0

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
Awesome stuff there Joshua.
that big blade is fantastic...cool story about its acquisition too.

"(If there were a magic machine that could restore broken pieces to their ancient glory, this piece would be the one I put in first.)" I thought that's why God made Doc Gomer.

justonemore

Oct 31, 2011
Indiana
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Have found Hilo here, maybe a Clovis drill but paleo eludes me. Have a friend in Walkerton who has a frame of points his grandfather found on the farm. Nice little Clovis sitting with the dozen or so other points.

OP
OP
joshuaream

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Have found Hilo here, maybe a Clovis drill but paleo eludes me. Have a friend in Walkerton who has a frame of points his grandfather found on the farm. Nice little Clovis sitting with the dozen or so other points.

My grandparents lived in Walkerton and my mom went to highschool there. There was a great collection on display at Stuntz Christmas tree farm outside of Walkerton when the old guy was still alive.

Paleo is difficult in that part of the state, I think there is only one fluted point from St. Joseph county in the Paleoindian Database that has find data from about 12,000 fluted points. Lots of Archaic material & later, but paleo people just didn't leave a lot of material there. One of the thoughts is that there was a shallow lake that didn't drain until the Kankakee river managed to burst through the natural levee (moraine) left by the Wisconsin Glacier. The biggest drainage event was called the Kankakee Torrent, but smaller events probably drained several lakes that backed up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
joshuaream

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Awesome stuff there Joshua.
that big blade is fantastic...cool story about its acquisition too.

"(If there were a magic machine that could restore broken pieces to their ancient glory, this piece would be the one I put in first.)" I thought that's why God made Doc Gomer.

Gomer does do amazing work.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first impression on the Folsom was instead a Bulltongue Simpson, rare even in its normal distribution area. Every Folsom that I've seen was a small point and more importantly, fluted from base to tip. No expert here and not questioning those that are, but search images of each type and draw your own conclusion.

Both exceptional pieces that would be in the frame of my best items if I found them.

OP
OP
joshuaream

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
My first impression on the Folsom was instead a Bulltongue Simpson, rare even in its normal distribution area. Every Folsom that I've seen was a small point and more importantly, fluted from base to tip. No expert here and not questioning those that are, but search images of each type and draw your own conclusion.

Both exceptional pieces that would be in the frame of my best items if I found them.

Sandchip, sorry I wasn't clear. The big biface was identified as a Folsom ultrathin at the Paleo American Odyssey by several people. The fluted point is probably something on the Cumberland/Barnes spectrum of artifacts.

welsbury

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2010
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post Joshua. Did you know about the ultrathin at the time you got the bucket o pieces?

Jd.Ole13

Apr 8, 2016
Northern, CA
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow! thanks for posting! very educational. lol. little kid with rocks in a bucket on the way home. i love it.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice examples and story

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think being identified as a Folsom ultrathin knife at the Paleo American Odyssey is pretty strong support for it's Paleo origins, and likely not based on "dreaming". It's a killer piece.

Folsom Ultrathin Knives

"The Folsom tradition is best known for its distinctive projectile points. Folsom projectile points are well-knapped and are often made of extremely high-quality lithic material. There is more, however, to the Folsom assemblage than merely projectile points. Scholars in the past decade have also identified some very distinctive, thin flint knives, which have become known as "ultrathin" bifaces.

These tools were made and used by Folsom peoples, and have been recorded in a number of Folsom sites, including Stewart's Cattle Guard (Colorado), Shifting Sands (West Texas), the Big Black site in North Dakota and others. These very distinctive knives are called "ultrathins" because they are generally between 7 to 13 times as wide as they are thick, although some have been recorded with as much as a 21/1 width to thickness ratio."

Last edited:
OP
OP
joshuaream

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Very nice JOSH, published or not, the lower pic is not Paleo. Some people dream great dreams.

It's not a common knife form, but here are some additional examples. The only people who made comparably thin knives with diving flakes in the center were Caddoan/Mississippian people. Their bifaces are typically much longer than this example, and generally restricted to a small area in Texas, Arkansas, & Oklahoma.

IMG_9175_zpsdeb84e7b.jpg

IMG_9175_zpsdeb84e7b.jpg

ultrathin3_zps6be2bad2.jpg

ultrathin2_zps560fd49d.jpg

IMG_9167_zps58eff3f0.jpg

Last edited:

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some DAMN FINE lookin frames there Josh!!!!!!! Indiana is usually not known for our paleo pieces but I have seen some KILLERS come out of our soil. In my county I know of only ONE confirmed paleo site and it's only been turned over a couple times in the last century, SO SAD!!!!! A old timer friend of mine that got me into the AWESOME passion of rockpickin has one of the most beautiful frames I've ever seen that came from that site ... I've drove by that site for the last 20 yrs just hoping to see it get worked!!!! Wish I could buy it... NEVER would've dreamed of folsom pieces being HERE!!! Thanx for the lesson and the show!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread