What is the best way to sell a lifetime collection?

MelissaNC

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi There,
My Dad passed away last year and we need to sell his collection of North American Indian Artifacts. There are approximately 4,000 pieces, mostly points, but axes, pendants and a little bit of pottery as well. He has some that he paid $2,500 to $5,000 for at auctions, and some that he found or were given to him that he valued at a dollar. He has some arranged in frames. What is your advice on the best way to approach selling the collection? Is it best to sell it as a whole, use an auction company, approach private buyers, sell them closer to where they were found, set up tables at shows? My Dad has everything well documented, but we have very, very limited knowledge ourselves. Any advice would be appreciated. What instructions have you given your heirs (please do!).
Thanks!

Upvote 0

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sorry for your loss,I know how difficult it can be. Welcome to the site, you've gotten some great advice already. Please beware of dishonest people who may try to take advantage of you during a time of grieving. I wish you the best.
dts

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take the collection to a artifact show. Most of the collectors that sit on the tables will be interested in those. Go the the nicest table or ask who is in charge of the show. After you find out who is in charge as him or her who would be willing to make the best offer if you wish to sell it all at once. You can get more by piecing them out more than all at once.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions