ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks,

I've been collecting arrowheads and artifacts for over 30 years now here in Canada. I'm heading to Minden, Nevada which is close to Reno in June for work. I'll be there from June 6th to the 24th. I've always wanted to go for a hunt in the U.S. for something a little different and the artifacts in Nevada would be much different than what I'm used to. I figure I'll try and get out for a couple of hunts on the weekends but being I'm not at all familiar with the territory I'd love it if someone in the area was interested in getting together to do some poking around. Maybe walk some creeks or something. I'm used to walking plowed fields and suspect that's not what I'd be dealing with there haha Anyhow, if anyone is interested let me know! Much appreciated!

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not from Nevada but this tray of artifacts is. Just to give you some ideas of what to look for. These are all from the northern part of the state if I remember correctly.

Good luck. Hope you find some place to hunt and find a few.

Attachments

• DSC_0045.jpg
    DSC_0045.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC_0051.jpg
    DSC_0051.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 337
  • DSC_0052.jpg
    DSC_0052.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC_0086.jpg
    DSC_0086.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 215
  • DSC_0087.jpg
    DSC_0087.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 227
OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that! I've been trying to do a little research online but info doesn't seem as plentiful on points and artifacts in Nevada as other places. Lots of nice material there! I think obsidian is pretty easy to identify and well, most chert/flint types. I'm not too concerned about not recognizing artifacts when I see them to be honest...it really boils down to settlement patterns I guess. I'm used to finding sites in specific areas with particular features. I think I'd be a little out of my element in Nevada haha Not to mention I have no clue about the wildlife there...particularly snakes, scorpions and spiders. I don't even know if they are in the area I'll be in haha. Having spent some time in the middle east and Afghanistan I'm no stranger to these things...but still prefer to avoid them lol

I'm not from Nevada but this tray of artifacts is. Just to give you some ideas of what to look for. These are all from the northern part of the state if I remember correctly.

Good luck. Hope you find some place to hunt and find a few.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
one word (actually three letters)...BLM....most of Nevada and the area you are talking about is BLM...so no hunting. I have hunted there a lot and the finds are terrific...BUT always on private land with permission. You will run into ranches, reservations, parkland and a lot of BLM!!!! I figure on about 1 point per hour in the 100 degree sun when i have gone in the past. (it is right cold there at the moment however.)

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup....no keeping artifacts on BLM. And, if you found 1,000 people out looking, you might find ONE that paid any attention to that rule....LOL
Jim

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info guys. Never heard of BLM so had to do a little reading on it. I'm sure there has to be somewhere to go. I'll keep poking around the internet and see what I can come up with.

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm heading to Nevada June 8th -14th. I will be dry panning for gold and precious stones and I'm always looking for Artifacts when I'm out. I will be heading near Lake Mead area, Mojave Desert, some abandoned mines and of course for the wife, Hot springs! You can Pm me if you want and when I'm there I can fill you in on any success I might have with certain areas. I have no problem giving people leads on sites. With that said, the BLM is no joke. You really have to do your research when hunting out west. Some guys will fill up their trucks knowing it's illegal to collect and many of them have no idea how to properly work a site which adds fuel To the "restrictions" fire. Use Gps, get printouts stating what you can take from the area and how much per day or year. If confronted you will be spoken to with a little more respect if they see your proactively trying to do the right thing! Good luck and be careful.

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool! Thanks for the response! I missed this somehow. Would definitely be interested...would be good to pick your brain.

i just arrived in Minden, NV today. Beautiful area! There has am to be a place to hunt around here somewhere. Can I get some clarification on the BLM? I see there are farms around etc...assuming I'm okay to hunt on private property if I can secure permission somewhere?

I'm heading to Nevada June 8th -14th. I will be dry panning for gold and precious stones and I'm always looking for Artifacts when I'm out. I will be heading near Lake Mead area, Mojave Desert, some abandoned mines and of course for the wife, Hot springs! You can Pm me if you want and when I'm there I can fill you in on any success I might have with certain areas. I have no problem giving people leads on sites. With that said, the BLM is no joke. You really have to do your research when hunting out west. Some guys will fill up their trucks knowing it's illegal to collect and many of them have no idea how to properly work a site which adds fuel To the "restrictions" fire. Use Gps, get printouts stating what you can take from the area and how much per day or year. If confronted you will be spoken to with a little more respect if they see your proactively trying to do the right thing! Good luck and be careful.

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey ColonialDude,
good to hear you made it out! Minden is somewhat close to Lake Tahoe. I would check it out just for its beauty alone. Indian Hills to your north.
If you secure permission to hunt on Private Land you can keep arrowheads and similar artifacts found.
You can Cant collect on an Indian burial ground or camp even if found on private land. If such a discovery was made you would have to contact the BLM.

Public Land- as far as I know there is no collecting of any kind of artifacts. So that ranges from an Indian arrowhead to a bottle made in 1915. " which I personally think is ridiculous ".
Try and get permission from land owners. Talk to them in town or you can just knock on their door. That's your best shot at finding things without the stress of getting into trouble.

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be in Mohave Desert on the 9th but will be all over the place trying to find my treasures. I only have 7 days in Nevada so I gotta make them count! Good luck

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to read and sign a BLM form in Nevada stating I've read and understand the law of collecting artifacts, before I could enter the BLM land to visit a minesite. You can't even pick up an old bottle out there. The day I signed that form me and our mechanic drove the back roads to Elko from Midus and dang if I didn't spot a black rock desert point along a creek. One things for sure they're are a lot of your fellow Canadians in northern Nevada.

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How have you been making out? Any luck?

Hey ColonialDude,
good to hear you made it out! Minden is somewhat close to Lake Tahoe. I would check it out just for its beauty alone. Indian Hills to your north.
If you secure permission to hunt on Private Land you can keep arrowheads and similar artifacts found.
You can Cant collect on an Indian burial ground or camp even if found on private land. If such a discovery was made you would have to contact the BLM.

Public Land- as far as I know there is no collecting of any kind of artifacts. So that ranges from an Indian arrowhead to a bottle made in 1915. " which I personally think is ridiculous ".
Try and get permission from land owners. Talk to them in town or you can just knock on their door. That's your best shot at finding things without the stress of getting into trouble.

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well no luck finding a suitable place to look yet....so I haven't even tried to secure permission anywhere. Still here for another week and half so I'm not giving up yet!

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Colonial Dude,

To say I've had no luck would be putting it lightly!!! Worst trip I've had in years.
First day we land, car rental is wrong. We reserved a 4\4 off road vehicle. Wound up with a 2016 Chrysler 300 after a couple of hours waiting. I'm poed so they give a free tank of gas. Thanks for that! -Fox car rental by the way-

Second day- I go to my brothers private land in Henderson only to see about 20 homes built on it. I call my brother and he tells me he sold the land to a developer! Fantastic!

Day 3- take out my detector and putz around. Find a couple garbage items then my MXT pro starts acting up. I'm assuming it was the 110 degree heat. So I take the pans out and start doing test spots. No luck.
Day 4- go to lake mead on the boat. We had a great time partying in the cove until the wind really kicked up which turned our ride back into the perfect storm. " the guys had fun" girls complained about hair getting wet!
Day 5- took a climbing/ hiking trail from Boulder city area to Colorado river. Abandoned mines close by so I found some Pyrite, Gold and quartz along the way. Pretty cool but nothing to brag about.
Mojave was canceled due to the heat and the bad luck we were having.
Called it quits for the rest of the trip and hung by the pool. I'll private message you if I can find locations in your area.

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's very unfortunate to hear. Hunts/Trips like that always suck. I guess that's what makes this hobby so great...never knowing when you will find the big one! It's always disappointing though when things don't pan out the way you envision it. Oddly I usually find the sites I've researched the heck out of and am super excited about end up being duds. Then I hit a spot randomly and make the find of a lifetime. Just the way it goes I guess. Regardless...sorry to hear your trip didn't work out for you.

I will let you know if I find anything...or for that matter actually get to look.

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree 100%. The one issue I have about certain states laws pertaining to hunting is that they say you can't pick up anything over 100 yrs or older. Ok that's fine, but if a developer wants to put up a bunch of cookie cutter houses and suck up more of the lands history and resources it's ok. It just amazes me how much BS people will put up with. I really hope you can find a good area.
I was looking into the "Monument Peak" area for you. Are you still in that general area?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread