Finally!

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well I found two pieces today. I think I finally recognize what a worked piece looks like...just don't know what these are or were meant to be. Any ideas? Very interested to know what period they are from. Surface find on gravel bars in NW Georgia. Ridge and Valley area. Two previous finds - I was told were from the archaic period. First 3 pics are front, back, and bottom of stem area. This piece is about 1 1/2 inches long. The last 3 pics are front, side, and back. It is about 2 inches long and 1 1/2 across. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 5.25.2c - Edited.jpg
    5.25.2c - Edited.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 5.25.2b - Edited.jpg
    5.25.2b - Edited.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 5.25.2a - Edited.jpg
    5.25.2a - Edited.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 5.25.c - Edited.jpg
    5.25.c - Edited.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 5.25.b - Edited.jpg
    5.25.b - Edited.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 5.25.a - Edited.jpg
    5.25.a - Edited.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 111
Upvote 0

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice one! I would say a scraper. rock can you some info on that one. Being in the same neck of the woods and all. wtg!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some might say preforms but they look like tools to me and yes scrapers or knifes depending on how big they are. I could be wrong but they look like the same type of Woodland tools I find by the flaking. Very nice finds.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the 1st one flat on 1 side away from the cutting edge? If so it would be called a "Backed Knife" or as in GA our state calls it a side scraper. 2 very nice ones Id like to hear as to which part you found them in. You can send me a PM and say.

Roscoe79

Tenderfoot
May 24, 2016
Dawsonville
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in dawsonville and have been looking for some rivers with nice sandbars around here but haven't really had any luck.

OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We are really fortunate to have two different creeks on our property so I've never looked anywhere else, but I know people sometimes ask property owners for permission to surface hunt on their land. You can do a google map search of your area and look for creeks that are near the river. Just make sure you have permission and know the artifact laws for your state. It's a lot of fun learning about the history and geology of the area. Welcome to the forum!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That flint looks like butter the way they were reducing it down. They were defiantly working an edge on that one side. Quick tool maybe?

Roscoe79

Tenderfoot
May 24, 2016
Dawsonville
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live about 1/2 mile from the etowah and I've got a small creek behind my house. Going to kayak the chestatee river tomorrow to see what I can find. Thanks

OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Way to go! That's beautiful - even though I don't know enough to tell you what it is, but it looks worked to me. So glad you had a successful hunt!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roscoe you should post it by itself and ask what type it might be. Congrats on a nice point.
Bear have you been back out in your creek?

OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Rock I haven't been back out except for a very quick look. I hope to get out there this weekend.

OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Roscoe79 I can help you if you want to post something. Click on the Native American Artifacts Forum, when that page loads look at the top left right underneath the banner of pictures. There will be a box that says Post New Thread. Click on that. If you want to add pictures scroll down to Manage Attachements and click on that. That should get you started, but if you need some help let me know. Be glad to help you and look forward to seeing your finds. :)

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BearCreek there is no doubt that you have found worked stone . Now as what it is you will have to study your piece, if it was used as a tool you should with the help of magnification see wear on the edge. Great find and even though it is not a super made point, it's still an artifact.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread