What type of point? Philly area...

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it's very worn so this can be tough... but anyone have any idea on the variety of the chalcedony point on the left? Adena or something? Found in the Philadelphia PA area.

image_14167.jpg

Upvote 0

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
IMO it probably does not fit perfectly well into any of the "classic" point types for the area. Generically speaking it would be a constricting stem point, probably closest to the "Piney Island" type, being in between the "Bare Island" and "Poplar Island" types due to the tapering of the stem. It does have a similar outline to an Adena point, although true Adena points are rare to find this far east, unless made of typical flints from the Adena home areas. The dark point on the right is probably late archaic or early woodland, having a general outline that morphs between a Fishtail and a Fox Creek. Nice finds, thanks for showing and Happy Hunting.

OP
OP
F

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your input... I can see where you're coming from as far as both points are concerned. I actually did find an identifiable argillite poplar island point at this site so it's possible it could be something similar. I was thinking the one on the right may be an ugly hellgrammite point because I've found another classic example at this site and it shows the same flaking and it's the same lithic... having said that, on projectilepoints.net, one of the fishtail photos is very similar. The jasper piece on the right/middle is the broken base of a Levanna or Madison point. Anyway, I just started finding stuff just a couple of months ago so I've got a lot to learn. Thanks!

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats some water worn points you found. Being so water worn I would guess it would be hard to get a good answer as to what they are. Another 100 years and they would of been returned back to the rock stage.

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The little black one looks most likely like an Orient Fishtail... The other, being stemmed and fairly worn from the river tumbling, could have one of a few different types, most were named above too. Nice finds!!! You have a decent place there, keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread